3rd Trimester

Help my christmas tree stinks!

I think my christmas tree is starting to smell bad!

This is the first time I've ever had a real tree and we got it right after thanksgiving.  It's not brown or anything, but it seems to be giving off a really funky odor (maybe it's just my pregnancy nose?)

Does anyone know what might be causing this and what I could do about it?

Re: Help my christmas tree stinks!

• Does it smell like cat pee?  I just saw on a tv show that a certain kind of Xmas tree can smell like cat pee.  I cant remember if it was a Noble or Douglas. Not sure you can do anything :-(
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Notes:
  • Oh man, it kinda does smell like cat pee :(  It's sort of a bitter smell.

I don't remember what kind of tree it is, but it's the one that has a sort of blue-ish tint.

• Loading the player...
  • Do you have a blue spruce?

We always get a douglas fir, and it starts to smell bad when it's dying.  I can always tell when it's happening because the needles start to get more prickly and fall off faster, etc. 

I always add sugar to the water when I water the tree. 

The tree can and will definitely omit an odor before it turns brown, so don't rule out that it's dying, especially if you've had it since Thanksgiving.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageShell24:

Do you have a blue spruce?

We always get a douglas fir, and it starts to smell bad when it's dying.  I can always tell when it's happening because the needles start to get more prickly and fall off faster, etc. 

I always add sugar to the water when I water the tree. 

The tree can and will definitely omit an odor before it turns brown, so don't rule out that it's dying, especially if you've had it since Thanksgiving.

Dammit! it better not be dying, because DH will have a field day with that one.  He told me over and over we'd better wait until later to get a tree, but I just had to have it right after Thanksgiving.

Lucky for me DH has no sense of smell (at least I assume that's why it doesn't bother him when the garbage is totally rank), so maybe he won't notice if I dont say anything...Stick out tongue

I didn't know about the sugar water thing.

• LOL..go buy a Christmas tree smelling air freshener and start spraying the tree every day. 

That will get you by until this time next week, and since it's after xmas you can get rid of it. 

We always get ours towards the middle of the month/2nd week of Dec. because I like to keep it up until New Years. 

I've smelled mine in the last couple days, which is annoying me only because we haven't had it that long.  But I even asked my DH if he smelled it and he couldn't.  So we might just have the pregnancy nose  :)

• IF you cut your tree down yourself or know it was cut down within a couple days of buying it, I would think it should have no problems lasting an entire month.  However, I'd be a little more hesitant about those side-of-the-road tree tents. 

I would try the sugar in the water thing...sounds like a good idea.  We always get some of that preservative liquid that you can add when watering once a week or so and that helps with ours.

Off topic, (kind of), but DH and I cut down our own Xmas tree each year and one year we got it home and set it up only to find a nest w/ the skeleton of a dead bird in it while we were decorating. 

• We got ours the first weekend of December. We usually get it the 2nd week, but I annoyed my husband until he finally caved. He refused to do it any earlier than that though because he said it wouldn't make it until Christmas. When we were getting the tree the woman that was ringing us up said to water it with lukewarm water and it will stay longer. We have been doing that and it still looks really nice, but who knows if it's from that though. We got a Douglas Fir, I really wanted a Fraser Fir, but my husband loves Douglas Fir's, so I let him get his way since he let me get the tree earlier than we usually get it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have an artfical tree but, we got these little green ornament that smell like pine.  Maybe you couls get those!  That way you get the smell without having the car air freshener's hanging around.
  • PP is right! A spruce smells like cat pee (it was on Regis and Kelly that Kelly's husband bought a spruce and they had to spray it with fake tree spray to cover the smell!) This year when Mark went to get a tree the tree-seller recommended always buying a fir to avoid the bad smell problem. You're gonna have to febreeze your tree this year!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"