Health & Exercise

PG runners?

Hi ladies,

DH and I trained for a half marathon for 12 weeks and completed it on November 15th. I took a small break to heal from some injuries and ran a 5 mile race on Thanksgiving day but I haven't run since then because I re-injured my legs. Well something about that race is magic becuase I just found out last week that I was pg.

I'm nervous about starting back up. I'm going to wait till after my doctors appt in a few weeks to officially go back again but go slowly. I'm still to scared to start back up right now. Unwarranted but I'm still scared none the less.

I was going to use the elliptical in the beginning and then start running outside when the weather gets better.

Do you think switching out exercising types would be ok? Does anybody have any pointers for me? I've tried yoga and I don't like it so I'll take any other suggestions I can get.

TIA

Re: PG runners?

• yoga isn't cardio, I really like to get in a cardio workout.  I still run a bit, taking walking breaks when I need to.  I plan on signing up for a half in October so I have motivation to train as soon as possible.

The elliptical is fine, I also do spin, kickbox, and this new class they started body attack, if I stuck to the elliptical I'd get too bored.   Try to keep active, I've heard it helps alot with labor and after the baby 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Teterboro 5K 7/16/11 23:22 Tenafly 5K 6/5/11 26:48 1st in age group and stroller division Teterboro 5K 7/17/10 24:42 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/25/10 28:18 4 1/2 weeks pp Teterboro Airport 5K 7/18/09 22:35 3rd place age group 4 1/2 weeks pregnant Long Branch 1/2 5/3/09 1:51:07 Lincoln Tunnel 5K 4/26/09 22:22 NJEA 5K 11/7/08 22:30 2nd place age group Westchester 1/2 10/12/08 1:50:16 Teterboro Airport 5K 7/19/08 23:43 Long Branch 1/2 5/4/08 1:54:18 Giant Stadium 5K 4/26/08 error in timing Hackensack 5K 10/14/07 23:55 1st place in age group
  • I was active before and during my pregnancy.  My dr told me i could continue to do everything, less abs and squats.  So I continued to run/jog/stairstep, etc until the very end...I also played volleyball, soccer and softball during most of my first trimester (dr said no after awhile)

I think the rule is you can continue to do pretty much everything you already do/did..not the time to start up if you've never exercised in your life :0)

• Loading the player...
  • Agree with above posts. Once cleared by your healthcare provider, you can typically be as active as you were before, just with modifications. 

Hydration, balance, heart rate, etc. are all considerations.

In place of running for now, have you tried swimming? Best cardio there is and it feels awesome to be preggie in the pool!

I'm still running, swimming, moderate lifting and doing yoga at 26 weeks. Good luck! 

• Like others have said, you can typically do anything you were doing prior to getting pg.  After an earlier m/c, I decided to buckled down and really get back into shape - going back to boot camp and running a lot.  I got pregnant again (10 wks now) and kept up with boot camp and running.  I definitely watch how I'm feeling, and I'll say I'm not running nearly as fast only because I was tired.  I've also done the eliptical on days that I just don't feel like running.  I've heard the eliptical is "better" since it's not as impactful as running.  You know your body and you'll know how to pace yourself.  And of course you can always talk with your doctor. 
  • I'm still running and run walking. My doctor fully supports this.

I just cut down on my mileage and run at a reduced pace.  I also mix up my routine with hill walking, yoga, aqua aerobics, strength training, and using the tredmill on days I don't want to run outside.

My workout increments have changed from 1.5 - 2 hours a day about an hour unless it's a long race. 

Just find something you enjoy and are comfortable with once you have your Dr.'s clearance. 

Best of luck!

• I ran until 25 weeks the first time. Regarding PP, I don't know why her doc told her she couldn't do abs--it's fine according to mine and the prenatal fitness certification I did. I quit running when I had to pee every mile. Second time I didn't run after the first trimester just because of a surgery I had in between pregnancies.

You do need to be careful with anything involving jumping or anything that puts a lot of shock on the joints, because of all of the relaxin hormone in your system. I quit doing explosive movements about halfway through my second pregnancy because it just killed my joints. And I'm only 30.

• If you were running before, there's no reason to stop.  My doctor said to keep my HR under 160 and don't get overheated.  I had run 14 back-to-back marathons before I got pg.  At 20 weeks, I ran a half marathon.  I'm 29 weeks now and have continued to run 20 miles/week, which is a huge cut in mileage, but it's what works for me.  If all goes well, I plan to continue running through my pregnancy.

I recommend two books: the runner's world guide to running and pregnancy (title may not be exactly that) and exercising through your pregnancy (author is an M.D. with last name "Clapp").  The second book is great whereas the runner's world book is largely anecdotal.  Also, check out the blog on runner's world - "baby steps."  If you manipulate the URL and insert earlier dates, you can read the first blog posts regarding running through your pg.  It's extremely helpful.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"