Houston Babies
Options

Refusing Solids

I am at the end of my rope!!!! DD has been eating solids since 4 months and does great, she LOVES to use a spoon, etc. She has eaten anything and everything I have given her no problem. Well about a week ago she refused to eat any solid, no matter what I tired. I have tried, fruits, meats, veggies, breakfast...EVERYTHING and she won't eat. She bucks around in her high chair and throws a fit. I tried for a few days and she wouldn't eat so I just decided maybe she wasn't that hungry and waited a few days and tried again today and the same thing however now, she is wanting formula every 3 hours again......so she is obviously hungry. I haven't changed anything in the last 4 months so I am totally at loss. Any advice??

Re: Refusing Solids

• Options
    I am sure you have already done so, but have you tried more whole foods (pieces of mushy carrots, crackers, cut up canned fruit even)?  A lot of kids get tired of purees after they have been eating them for a while or they get too independent to want anything put on a spoon.  Also, even if she is just playing with them and throwing them around her tray, it could make it more on her terms where you are not trying to "feed" her.  I would also play around with the temp of foods that you are feeding her, sometimes that can make a difference as well even when it didn't seem to matter in the past.  That is all I can think of--good luck!
  • Options

Thanks! I was doing some research online and read somewhere that she may want to feed herself, etc. so we will see. I am going to try a few other things tomorrow and just go from there.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Peas are one of Tracey's favorite finger foods (Even though she doesn't chew them...)

I pop them out of their skins first and she eats them like candy.  

• Options
    DS went through a bit of this as well.  What worked for me was to give him some finger foods while I was getting his actual dinner fixed.  It seems like if I give him some independence when he first sits down to eat then he responds better when it's time for me to feed him.  (maybe he was really hungry and I couldn't shovel it in there fast enough..who knows!)  Also, when he's throwing a fit and pushing the spoon away I get another spoon and let him hold that while I feed him.  He thinks he's feeding himself when I'm really doing it...hehe.  I've found that giving him something to occupy his hands really helps.  Good luck! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Definitely try some finger foods!
  • Options

imagekatieraye04:
    DS went through a bit of this as well.  What worked for me was to give him some finger foods while I was getting his actual dinner fixed.  It seems like if I give him some independence when he first sits down to eat then he responds better when it's time for me to feed him.  (maybe he was really hungry and I couldn't shovel it in there fast enough..who knows!)  Also, when he's throwing a fit and pushing the spoon away I get another spoon and let him hold that while I feed him.  He thinks he's feeding himself when I'm really doing it...hehe.  I've found that giving him something to occupy his hands really helps.  Good luck! 

I've tried giving her, her own spoon and that doesn't seem to help either! We will work on finger foods now, thank you!

• Options
    Thanks for all of the advice ladies, hopefully something will work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"