Special Needs
Options

XP: Anyone test positive for Trisomy 18?

A friend of mine (she's 17 weeks pregnant) just found out she tested positive for Trisomy 18 on the intial testing (quad screen, I think?).  She goes in on Friday for a level 2 u/s.  I've heard of some false positives on this test and wondering if anyone would like to share their story, to calm my nerves and hers too.

tia.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Anyone test positive for Trisomy 18?

• Options
    I had an abnormal AFP with my second pregnancy and my son has T18.  I lost him at 18 weeks 3 days.  We were referred for a level 2 ultrasound in light of the results. When we went in for the level 2, he had no heartbeat.  There are definitely false positives out there but I am one of the unlucky ones who had it be a true result
    imageimage
  • Options
    I am 18 weeks pregnant and I tested postive for Trisomy 18.  I am going in on Monday for genetic counselling and an ultrasound with an amnio.  I am terrified for the results.  Although the chances of it being Trisomy 18 are 1 in 264, I have never felt so worried in my life.  My husband has been immersing himself in work so he won't think about it. But meanwhile, I am at home...thinking...lonely...scared.  I've told him how much I need his support and company, but he's not getting it.  If I lose this baby and he wasn't there for me, it could be the end of us.  I'm really hurt that he can't put his "important things" on hold for a few days.  I really don't need this stress on top of everything else.  It's so different for me because I can feel my baby moving and it's a constant reminder of the possibility that I might lose the baby.  I hope your friend has a good support group and I wish her all the best.  No one can possibly imagine the love and worry I feel for this child.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I understand how you are feeling.  I am 13 weeks pregnant, and the doc just told me I have 1 in 77 chance of having a baby with Down Syndrome.  I'm not going to to an amniocentesis, but I'm doing the second ultrasound and blood test.  I keep telling myself there is a good chance the doctors screwed up my results somehow.

I too love my unborn child, and the dreams I had of a healthy baby with a normal life died the day the doctor told me my high chances of down syndrome.  But I tell myself these things happen for a reason, that God has a plan for my family. That having a child with Down Syndrome will bring a different kind of gift to our lives.    I'm sorry for how you are feeling, I only hope for the best for you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"