Orange County Babies

Childbirth classes at Hoag

How soon before my EDD should I take the classes and how far in advance do I need to register for them?

Re: Childbirth classes at Hoag

• I delivered at St. Joseph but I registered at 30 weeks for our classes and I think we were late on the train for them... the prepared childbirth classes were full that would have fit into our schedule were full so we ended up only doing the breastfeeding class through the hospital and stuck to Hypnobabies for the prepared birthing.

Socializing foster puppies since 2009
    image image
    Chart for TTC#2
  • Well, I might be a big ol' baby because I am carrying twins, but we took classes between 21 weeks and 24 weeks and that was about as late as I could bear.  It was uncomfortable sitting in the chairs for 2 hours at a time (but this was at my hospital, not Hoag).  IMHO, I would want them done sooner rather than later.  The childbirth classes were 6 weeks long at my hospital!

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagekimarino13:
    Well, I might be a big ol' baby because I am carrying twins, but we took classes between 21 weeks and 24 weeks and that was about as late as I could bear.  It was uncomfortable sitting in the chairs for 2 hours at a time (but this was at my hospital, not Hoag).  IMHO, I would want them done sooner rather than later.  The childbirth classes were 6 weeks long at my hospital!

Wow 6 weeks?!? I think ours are like 3 weeks. I'm excited and all for taking them early, I just don't want to take them too early and forget everything. If I were in your shoes I would have done the same thing. I'd probably take them twice!

• I'd register soon.  I think we were told to register by our doc sometime early 2nd tri.  I lagged (as usual) and we ended up taking the classes around 32w and I was much further along than most of the others. 
    forcing sisterly love since 07.06.10
  • I'd register now. I think we went around week 32-36. If you have the money, I highly recommend doing the childbirth class as a private class. We did it and it was just one class one-on-one with the educator. That was much better than the super Saturday or 3 weeks of classes. We then took the other 3 classes (baby safety, baby care, and breastfeeding) for a total of 4 classes. I recommend all of them but DH would have never survived if we took the birthing class over the three weeks or on one loooong day. Private was well worth the money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I started taking them around 30 weeks, don't take them too late because it is very uncomfortable to sit there in class toward the end.
  • Register early, so you can go sometime in your 2nd trimester, 24-28 weeks would be good. I enjoyed all the classes, especially the breastfeeding one, as well as the baby care. I knew I needed to attend the infant CPR, and they made it fun too. I was a little meh with the childbirth class (we did the super saturday one), but at least it helped me with my breathing techniques,

I definitely recommend the baby care, infant cpr and breastfeeding. GL!

ETA: just saw your ticker. Call them now, and they'll tell you available slots for you and your DH.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"