Maryland Babies

Is anyone delivering at GBMC

I was just wondering if anyone was delivering at GBMC. I haven't did a tour or taken any classes. But I have been to L&D and been inside some of the rooms. I know they don't have birthing tubs, which sucks. I just wanted to hear anyone else experience there or how they feel about GBMC in general. I know they change the visitation you can only have two visitors. your husband and one other adult. I'm not very happy with that. Anyways, I don't know if they have birthing balls. I wanted to check out their doula program. ( its kind of late for all of this now.) Please let me know your feelings about GBMC and what they offer.

Re: Is anyone delivering at GBMC

• My SIL delivered there and took her own birthing ball. She seemed ok with GBMC. I do know with her 1st pregnancy she encountered some pretty rude nurses but not the second time.
  • I delivered at GBMC and although it ended in a c-section I thought the staff was great to work with.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am delivering there.  No prior babies for me but my friends who have delivered there have all been pleased.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • I have heard of a lot of people enjoying their experience there.  The only thing that I know is that they have a very high c-section rate (over 40%). Mercy is the only hospital that I know of in the Baltimore area that allows water births.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I enjoyed my birth experience at GBMC for my first and will go back for #2. I didnt care for my nurse but it wasnt really her fault.  They seem very accomodating so I'm sure u could bring birthing balls.  About the stats of over 40% C-sections, I have also heard that they have high numbers...but I also hear that they have a higher # of high risk patients that require c-sections that may also contribute to this # being so high.  I wasnt high risk and i didn thave a c-section.  also ive read the new visitor rules.  i think they suck too...but everybody doesnt have the same judgement...so in that respect while my first wont get to come to the hospital...we will be home soon enough and we can bond with family and friends the way we want to at that point.  good luck to you!
  • It is true that they do have more high risk patients that go to GBMC but that alone doesn't make up for that high a number of c-sections.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I delivered at GBMC. I couldn't have a birthing ball b/c I was on pitocin and they would not let me out of bed at all. They do have a high number of c-sections and I don't think the high risk theory explains their numbers. My nurses were fine. I would deliver at GBMC again but change my OB.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I just delivered #2 there a few weeks ago. Both deliveries there were great, great nurses and dr's, nice rooms, and good food! Nothing to worry about there, you'll be in good hands.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am delivering there but it's number one so I don't have a prior experience.  However, about the visiting....  I think most hospitals have adopted that policy of two visitors.  My mom just had surgery at St. Agnes, my friend just delievered at Upper Chesapeake and another friend just delieverd at Franklin Sqare and they all now have that policy.  I think all the hype over H1N1 has forced the hospital to adopt these policies.  GBMC has some of the best ratings in Maryland for their labor and delievery unit so I am feeling pretty confident. 
  • Not sure when you're due but I'm going to be delivering there.  They have a great maternity ward, I know several people who have delivered there & loved it. 

Yes, they did change the visitation rules but it's only suppose to be temporary & it's for the health of you & the baby so I think it makes sense.  They restricted the visitors because of the H1N1 "outbreak".  Too often people will come to visit the mom & new baby in the hospital even if they're sick.  They seem to feel that it's ok because they should get to see the baby instead of waiting to feel better.  The restriction is to help keep down the amount of germs you & the baby are exposed to while in the hospital.  My doc said they should be removing that restriction prior to April (the month I'm due).

We're doing our birthing classes & taking a tour of the hospital in March (it's a class through my OB's office, not the hospital)

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
  • We're doing our birthing classes & taking a tour of the hospital in March (it's a class through my OB's office, not the hospital)

Just as an FYI they no longer do tours.  Took my class yesterday and they said all tours are cancelled for the flu season

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am also delivering at GBMC, first baby and only 14 weeks. My sister had all 3 of her children there with good experiences no c-sections. Although my PCP is with Johns Hopkins she told me I absolutely had to go to GBMC. I mostly heard great things about GBMC and will definitely come back to post after I have delivered. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"