Maryland Babies

In-Home Care

1st time mom-to-be here!

I know for looking at daycare centers, the sooner you look the better.  But, how far in advance should you look for in-home care?  Most nannies are going to be looking for a job as soon as possible, not waiting for one in May/June when I would need them!

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12

Re: In-Home Care

• I didn't start looking for in home care until after my son was born.  Typically, in home providers do not have waiting lists....they will advertise openings as they are available.  I starting looking when my son was six weeks old and was able to find someone within a couple of weeks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due in 2 weeks and we are looking for March.  The in-home care places I have called have all pretty much said the same thing; they might have an opening around then, but to call back after the baby is born.  Most places need to fill their spot ASAP, so they wont keep one open for you.  I would try to get on the waiting list for centers if you are going to go that route, every center in my area has a waiting list.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Do you have some numbers to call? I wouldn't know where to start looking for a in-home care.
  • mdchildcare.org is a great place to start, they list licensed child care providers, most of them list rates, and phone numbers.  I went there and just started calling.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Found my provider on Craigslist.  Lots of licensed providers advertise on there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a nanny until very recently and most families would start their search about 6-8 weeks before they needed a nanny to get a feel for things. However, I usually didn't put myself out there until I was just about ready to start working (about 3 weeks). 

I advertised on Sittercity and Nannies4Hire and had great success. My last family was a Sittercity member and they had a great experience. There is a sign up fee but no agency fee. Background checks, etc. are also offered through both sites.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"