Special Needs
Options

mom of tots on keppra/depakote

dek has been seizure free for a little over a year now (YAY) and is taking both keppra and depakote. i took him for his 21 month check up and his ped said the only concern he has is that dek's movements do not seem as "smooth" as other toddlers'. he needs to gain his balance when being put down and turning quickly sometimes knocks him off balance. i know dizziness can be a side effect of both of these drugs and since dek has learned almost all of his gross motor skill after being on them, i'm not sure if it's the drugs or something else going on with him...

the ped is super laid back and said he is so curious to see dek's behavior off the meds, so he doesn't really think it is anything more than drug induced dizziness, but it made me want to ask other moms.

anyone else notice this with their tot?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: mom of tots on keppra/depakote

• Options
    We are in a similiar boat.  Paige has been on Keppra since 5 months of age so sometimes I wonder what she would be like off of it.  She seems a little clumsy to me sometimes compared to other toddlers but I don't know if it is her age, the medicine, her genetics (DH thinks I am pretty uncoordinated too!). etc.  She is part of an EI program.  Doesn't qualify for services since but we have a case worker that evaluates her every 2 months to make sure her development is on track.  Our ped recommended it.  Helps give me some reassurance that everything is okay.  It is so hard not to overthink every twinge, tremor, fall, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

You should join the chat board "Parents Helping Parents" on the Epilepsy Foundation site.  I am sure you would get TONS of responses there!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I've been on both drugs, and Depakote was really bad with these symptoms. I'd think it would be the drug since I was on Depokote, Depakene, and Depakote Sprinkles and had this with all those drugs. Most seizure drugs will cause this though, unfortunately. I've been on 14 of them... Topamax worked best for me with least side effects though sometimes I got foggyheaded. 

it's hard to weigh the pros and cons with meds.  :[

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"