Houston Babies
Options

BFing becoming more painful over time?

Techinically, I don't BF; I EP.  But, anyway, the pain and soreness has not been bad at all until the last day or so.  It has now become very painful when I first pump.  It is excruciatingly painful for about 30 seconds and then it is okay.  I thought it was supposed to become less and less painful as time went on...especially around the 6 wk mark.  I don't get why the pain has just now started.  Is this normal and how long does this pain last?
imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: BFing becoming more painful over time?

• Options
    I was never able to really pump because it was too painful.  I found a hand pump to work better for me.  I think the suction was more than my boobs could take...
  • Options
    you maybe using the wrong sized cones on your pump. as your milk levels off, your boob size is adjusting. or you may be sucking too hard. (that's what she said Geeked) but i would try a different cone size
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you been slowly increasing the suction and maybe you are slowly getting too strong?  I know if pumping started to become painful, I would have to take the suction down a notch.  Also, I felt that sometimes I wouldnt' be paying attention (did it at work, so would check email, etc. during it) and would be pumping longer than necessary and it was taking a toll on my nips!  I would make sure you have a timer on it and take the suction down a notch or 2.  Also, slather up in nipple cream before and after you pump.

• Options

Thanks for the advice ladies.  I decreased the suction (and very very slowly increased while pumping) and that seemed to help a lot this time. 

V - I have the larger flanges and I think that has helped a lot already (compared to when I pumped with Jackson). 

I hope the changing of the suction keeps doing the trick.  I have already surpassed the length of time that I pumped with Jackson.  I never thought I would make it this far with Reese and to do so w/o so little pain and fuss is a miracle to me.  I hope the pain stays away and I can keep this up. 

Thanks again.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had that happen, but it was more painful to BF and less painful to pump, so I don't know if that's any help to you.  It started about the same time, about 6 weeks in after a month of painless BF, and I was in tears everytime I fed DS.  I have no idea why it happened, but it did go away in about a week, but boy was that a rough week.  Hang in there!  You may also want to call a LC, they may be able to help you.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a few day long stretch at 6 weeks and then again at 10 weeks where it became painful.  The pain felt like it radiated back to my shoulder blade. Both times it went away on its own, and I have not had it again since.  Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"