Special Needs
Options

Low muscle tone?

I took my daughter to a neurologist for an evaluation yesterday...she is very delayed in her gross motor skills (she doesnt crawl or roll...she does sit or stand if I put her into position). The dr noted she has very low muscle tone and is set up for an MRI. She was very vague on what can cause this or if its just a matter of more physical therapy (she's in EI). Anyone else's LO have low muscle tone? What is the diagnosis and treatment? Thanks

Re: Low muscle tone?

• Options

Unfortunately, hypotonia can be a marker for thousands of disorders. We started just where you are...neurologist and an MRI. If that turns up clean (which ours did), they can refer you to genetics for testing. It could also be benign, which means no cause at all and she could outgrow it (which I truly hope is the case!)

• Options

My DD has mixed tone.  Low in her trunk and neck, high in her arms and legs.  As the pp said tone is pretty generic and can be due to many, many things.  In my DD case the MRI did show abnormal brain development and it later was attributed to CMV.

At 22m my daughter might roll once in a blue moon, can sit if put in that position and supported, stand if put in that position and supported.  When I say supported I mean leaning on the couch or a pillow.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"