Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Maternity Clothes... used or new?

My regular clothes are starting to feel a little snug.  I've started looking at maternity clothes and I'm surprised how expensive they are.  I guess I should look at it as an investment, because I'd like to use them for one or two more pregnancies after this, but I was curious where everyone shops for maternity clothes.  I have had some luck at thrift stores (we have a really nice one nearby and they are very particular about what they take) but I need some work pants and sweaters.  Any suggestions?

Re: Maternity Clothes... used or new?

• Options
    I purchased a few things from Tomorrow's Child consignment in Mechanicsburg and was very happy with the condition/price!
  • Options
    old navy, gap(sale!!) and jc penney were my favorites:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I always found some good sales at Kohl's.
  • Options

Honestly, I bought very few clothes that were actually maternity. For the most part I went up a size in regular clothes or took advantage of the fact that many of todays fashions are very baby bump friendly. Now of course, this works much better for tops than for bottoms though some mamas have gotten away with baggier yoga type pants depending on the work environment paired with a sassy top. Same goes for dresses. many have been able to wear the empire or none fitted waste dresses through their pregnancy. For our 5 year anniversary, I was 6 months pg and wore a regular dress that just happened to to be a poly blend that gave enough stretch for my belly. Others have bought the various belly bands to continue to wear their regular pants. I believe Bella band is one of the brands. it's sort of a knit cummerbund to wear over the waste of your regular pants(un buttoned/zipped) to hold them up.

Otherwise I've gotten maternity items from Goodwill, Target,& Pennys, Our Kohls has all of 4 racks of maternity.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ross was about the only place I bought stuff, other than a pair of cords from Old Navy.  I didn't pay more than $6 for any shirt, and my most expensive pair of capris was $12.

Something else to remember -- if you do get pregnant again, there's no gaurantee you'll be the same size during the same seasons.  I lucked out and was biggest during the summer, so I didn't have to worry about sweaters and long pants.  But if the next one is a winter baby, my summer maternity clothes won't do me any good, and I'll have to re-buy a maternity wardrobe anyway.

• Options
    Have any friends who recently had kids?  They may be more than willing to let you borrow your maternity clothes.  My friend loaned me her stuff because i was in pregnant in the summer this time and did not have the clothes.  I gave a girlfriend of mine all of my clothes to borrow now that i am no longer pregnant.  good luck.
  • Options
    I got a lot from a friend. I also bought some from Ross and Burlington Coat Factory. I don't think I spent more then $10 on a pair of jeans and $7 on a shirt that I really liked. There's so many cute things out there. Also check out craigslist and ebay.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have found I like JcPenney's maternity clothes the best. I have only bought them when they were half off or buy one get one for $1 (basically half off anyway!) Their selection is limited just like everyone else but I really like the maternity pants with a regular closure on the front.
  • Options

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Smile

My best friend (who also teaches in my building) is also pregnant with her 2nd is using her maternity clothes (obviously).  I told her that it wasn't supposed to work out this way, this year was my year!

Anyway, I have hit up local thrift stores and have found some jeans and corduroys, but I did have to break down and purchase some work pants this week.  I ended up going to JCPenney's because they had the cheapest pants when I was looking online.  I purchased mediums, which are a little baggy on me right now, but I'm sure I'll grow into them.  Do you think I'll move up into a size L?  I hope not.Hmm I saw some cute and not too expensive sweaters at Old Navy, which I put on my Christmas list.

I've heard of the Bella Bands, but I haven't seen them anywhere.  Where can you find them?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"