Health & Exercise
Options

Runners--Realistic Goal?

I am 31 weeks and starting to think about getting back into shape after LO is born.  I trained for and completed my first half-marathon shortly before getting pregnant, but I've been HORRIBLE about exercising during pregnancy, other than walking and my weekly yoga class.  

I know I will be more successful if I have an event to work toward and would like to complete another half, so I'm starting to look for races.  I think I've found one that will give me 6 months to train.  Does that sounds like enough time, considering I will have to wait for my Dr's okay before getting started and I'm basically starting from square one?  I trained for 3.5 months for my last one, but had been running a little bit when I got started.

Re: Runners--Realistic Goal?

• Options

I am 5 weeks PP and ready to run.(I ran for the first 5 months of pregnancy and then walked after that and I gained about 40 lbs.)

I am just waiting for my 6 week dr app. to get the okay.  I think 6 months is plenty of time assuming you can figure out when to exercise.  Right now that is the biggest problem finding the time to get to the gym.  Good Luck!

• Options
    I'm signed up for a Half Ironman 3 1/2 months post partum, so I think you'll be able to do just fine training for a Half in 6 months.  My coach says she's had plenty of women be able to recover quickly from childbirth, so fingers crossed she was right.  :) 
  • Options

I think that should be plenty of time, do you have a distance in mind? I trained for a marathon in only 7 months (started from scratch) but it took up ALL of my free time and I didn't have a baby at home! I think with hard work and determination you can accomplish anything, though. I'm still running and racing now at 32 weeks and I'm hoping I can jump right back into half and full marathon training mode once I get the all clear from my doc. I ran an October half marathon at 26 weeks and I'm hoping to run that same half or full marathon again next year with baby cheering from the sidelines, so that only gives me about 6 months of training time. I know for me personally I always need to have a goal race in mind to keep me motivated, that's why I'm still racing, I just can't seem to find the motivation to run without that goal. Good luck!

• Options

I was training for my second marathon when I got pg. I ran through my whole pg (skipped the marathon, though) and started running 4 weeks PP.  While I was pg I had toyed with the idea of running a half at 6 mo PP becuase I felt like I had stayed in such good shape--I was really surprised at how difficult it was to train with an infant. My body wasn't a problem, but finding the time and energy to get out and run was a struggle. Even if I had enough time or energy, I often just didn't want to leave my little baby :)  I did a very half-azzed training all summer and ended up running my slowest half marathon ever at 6 mo PP. It was fun, but I don't know that I would do it again. Fitting in long runs was tough and I think I would have enjoyed a 10K way more.

My advice--wait until after the baby is here to make any decisions and don't push yourself to get back to racing. I totally get what you mean about a goal, but running a fast 10K might end up being a more doable goal than a half marathon.

• Options
    I'm not sure about training with an infant, but 6 months is usually plenty of time to train for a half.
  • Options

That is plenty of time :)

I ran through 6months and stopped b/c I was lazy and then had a c-section and started running at 5 weeks pp. I ran in my 4th marathon 6months after DD was born. 

The training wasn't a problem b/c I would go in the evening while DD was still waking up and then after 6weeks she was sleeping through the night so I went early am before DH went to work.

SOOO glad I did. It kept me sane and got all 40lbs off in 3 months.

I say go for it and nothing says that if your recovery takes longer or you can't fit it in right away that you can't pick a later race. 

Good Luck!

• Options
    imageLenMont:

I was training for my second marathon when I got pg. I ran through my whole pg (skipped the marathon, though) and started running 4 weeks PP.  While I was pg I had toyed with the idea of running a half at 6 mo PP becuase I felt like I had stayed in such good shape--I was really surprised at how difficult it was to train with an infant. My body wasn't a problem, but finding the time and energy to get out and run was a struggle. Even if I had enough time or energy, I often just didn't want to leave my little baby :)  I did a very half-azzed training all summer and ended up running my slowest half marathon ever at 6 mo PP. It was fun, but I don't know that I would do it again. Fitting in long runs was tough and I think I would have enjoyed a 10K way more.

My advice--wait until after the baby is here to make any decisions and don't push yourself to get back to racing. I totally get what you mean about a goal, but running a fast 10K might end up being a more doable goal than a half marathon.

Completely agree! I was in such a hurry to get back into running while I was pregnant but after baby was here it was so different. I do a race here and there now but I still haven't got back into full half marathon and marathon shape. But with lots of determination you could do it, I've been slacking lately.

• Options
    Thanks Ladies!  I like the idea of giving myself the option of a 10K in case I have a hard time finding the time to train for a half.  
  • Options
    I stopped running at about 20 weeks and I am planning on running a half 12 weeks after I deliver. 6 months is definitely plenty of time to work up to where you want to be.
    ~mom to 4 boys~ 9/05, 10/07, 2/10,and 10/11 image
  • Options
    You'll probably be fine. I completed a 30K at 5.5mo pp. The hardest part was trying to train when LO was a newborn (she didn't do well in the jogger). But I personally was ready to run!
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    imageLenMont:

My body wasn't a problem, but finding the time and energy to get out and run was a struggle. Even if I had enough time or energy, I often just didn't want to leave my little baby :)  I did a very half-azzed training all summer and ended up running my slowest half marathon ever at 6 mo PP. It was fun, but I don't know that I would do it again. Fitting in long runs was tough and I think I would have enjoyed a 10K way more.

THIS! 

I was a pretty serious runner in college, ran a marthon soon after but then ran much more casually for almost 8 years.  When pg with DS I ran a bit during my 2nd tri (too sick during 1st tri) but then got put on modified bedrest.  I'm being ultra cautious with this pg and just walking.

Wait until after the baby comes to set some pp goals.  My son was colicky and a TERRIBLE (and I mean terrible) sleeper until about 8 months.  He was a spring baby so I couldn't put him in the running stroller until that fall.  I did a little running without him (in the evening when DH got home from work) that summer.  But once fall came and he was finally old enough for the stroller, he was sleeping really terribly and I was too tired to do any more than 3-5 miles.  Then it started getting dark early and was too cold to take ds out during the day so I didn't do much running in the winter (though I did keep up with the elliptical inside). 

I didn't get on track with a real running schedule til last spring when DS was almost a year!  I did do the NYC half marathon this past summer and was able to do it in a reasonable time.

Long explanation to say - don't set too many expectations.  Sometimes life gets in the way and that's ok.  I sometimes wish I had set my sights on a few fun 5 or 10ks.  Good luck!

• Options
    I ran my second half-marathon after Isaac was born. I had a c-section with him, which was a longer recovery. He was born in October, and I ran my half marathon in May.I didn't start training for it until February, though... just worked on regaining general fitness from late November (when I was given the OK to go back to the gym) until the end of January.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"