Pennsylvania Babies

Stripping Membranes/Induction?

I had my 40 week appt. today and I'm not dilating at all and she said my cervix looked unfavorable - meaning it is still back/high in the corner, although I am 50% effaced. She had said that we would discuss stripping my membranes if I was dilating - since I'm not we didn't discuss it further. At this point, I'm scheduled to go to the hospital Sunday morning for a NST and amniotic fluid check, back to the doctor Monday for a check, and then possibly check in at the hospital Tuesday evening to get cervadil with an induction scheduled for next Wednesday 12/16 (10 days post EDD).

I hadn't thought of asking at the dr's this morning - but if they are able to strip my membranes next Monday if I were dilating, is this a better/easier option than the induction?

And in the meantime, what tricks should I be trying besides lots of walking and sex? I was having consistent contractions 10 mins apart early Sunday morning for about 3 hours so I was really hoping that I would at least be dilated a cm or 2, but all contractions/cramping have stopped!

Re: Stripping Membranes/Induction?

• I've been thinking about you, I hope you are feeling relatively well.

I had my membranes stripped at my 38, 39 and 40 week appointments with Connor, I started early labor the day after my 40 week appt, I had been 100% effaced and not dilated at all from 36 weeks until labor. 

From what I've heard, stripping membranes will only work if you are really ready to go into labor.  That being said, I am currently 75% effaced and 1cm since 34 weeks, but I do plan on asking them to strip my membranes at my appt on friday.

As for where you are, I think its definitely worth having them give it a try at your appointment on monday, theres no harm.  worst case it doesnt work and you go in for your induction.

I tried every trick in the book with Connor, sex, walking, spicy food, pineapple, nipple stimulation, if it was on the internet I tried it, and nothing worked.  I really think they just dont come until they are ready.  However, I do plan on trying all that again starting tomorrow with this baby in addition to getting a good foot massage where they hit the right pressure points.  My friend told me there is a place in mechanicsburg that said they would do it for her when she was almost due.

Hope that helps!!!

• If they'll strip your membranes, it's worth a shot!  I had it done with my second pregnancy, and the following day I went into labor (I was already a little dilated though), but it was the jumpstart that I needed.

I was 2 weeks overdue with my first, and was finally induced with the cervical gel.  I didn't think it was that bad at all.  I went in for the gel, and they sent me home to see what might happen.  Lo and behold, contractions started within a couple of hours after receiving the gel. 

Good luck to you!  The waiting the last couple of days is awful, but it looks like you'll have a wonderful early Christmas present in a few days!

• Loading the player...
  • If they will strip your membranes, I'd give it a try. It may work it may not - but it doesn't hurt to try!

With Anna, I went into labor the day after I had my membranes striped. However, I was already 90-100% effaced and close to 2cm dilated. 

Whatever happens - Good Luck!!! I hope you don't have to wait too much longer! 

• Thanks for sharing! I'm hoping that I'm dilated at least a little on Monday so that they can do this. Sounds like most of you had good experiences with that.

In the meantime, this little girl is probably laughing at us. Back in the fall with all of our worries that she might have to come early, and now we can't get her out! :) At least she is getting all the time she needs to grow, although I'm not sure we'll still be welcoming the 6 1/2 lb-7lb baby that they predicted if she keeps this up and I keep making cookies each day!

• I tried walking, sex, pineapple, nipple stimulation and acupressure.

Good luck!!

• Thanks Liz for the additional ideas - I was thinking about you earlier since you went into labor the day before your induction. Hopefully this little one will come on her own too!
  • I just wanted to say good luck!

Another labor inducer to try is sitting/rocking on an exercise ball.  I actually spent about an hour on one the day my water broke, but I'm sure that was just coincidence.

• I just want to say good luck.  I did not have any of these issues since Keaton decided to come 3 weeks early.  I'm thinking of you....
  • I had my membranes stripped at 39weeks 6 days. I woke up the next day, my due date, and was in labor.

I was 1.5 cm and 70% when they did it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"