Rhode Island Babies
Options

Water Birthing

Is there anyplace in RI that I can have an actual water birth? (other than home?) I am still TTC, but I am nothing if not a planner. LOL! I am debating on the water birth/ home water/ home birth options. I just know I want to go all natural, assuming noting goes wrong.  I CAN'T WAIT TO START MY FAMILY!!

Re: Water Birthing

• Options

Hi!

Kathy Tirrell, my midwife, does waterbirths at Newport Hospital.  She's the only one in RI that "officially" does them at a hospital.  The facility at Newport is *GORGEOUS* if you're willing to make the drive.   She is with OBGYN Associates - but NOT the main office in Providence.  She sees patients only in Newport.  Kathy is wonderful, and works in concert with a very nice OB named Doug.

Mary Mumford Haley may also do them at Memorial Hospital; she and her partner, Michelle Palmer, also handle home deliveries.  They work out of the East Bay Medical Center in Riverside.  Memorial is a little dated of a space, but I hear they're very nice.  You will have to bring your own pool.

W&I does not do water births, even at the ABC.  Plus, it's really, really easy to "risk out" of the ABC. 

Good luck!!

• Options
    Hi Erinkate.  I am looking to give birth at the ABC. Can you expand a little on your statement "Its really, really easy to 'risk out' of the ABC."?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Sure.

According to my first docs (who were associated with W&I), I risk out because I'm overweight (I wear a size 14-16).  I would also have risked out for having a run-in with ulcerative colitis 8 years ago, though it's been in remission forever.

My best friend risked out because she had had a blood clot during her first pregnancy 7 years before (this was her 4th).  The local forum at mothering.com also has some stories of other risk-outs (maternal age, due date over 40w, sunny-side-up presentation, and a few others I don't remember).

If you are able to deliver there, enjoy it - I hear it's recently been remodeled and is absolutely beautiful!

• Options
    yes Newport is the only place that i know of that does water births...memorial has a tub but they do not allow water births...my midwife is michelle palmer and i have also met with mary and they both have said that you can labor in the tub at memorial but they dont have a policy in place for water births..so they arent allowed but they are trying...i was even asked to write a letter to the CEO of memorial asking for a policy to be put in place...if i wasnt on the other side of the state.... i would go to newport in a minute..but memorial is a nice alternative for me..its close ...not pretty in appearance but quality of care i heard is top notch.
  • Options
    hehe....a post from before I was KTFU! I had no clue it would happen so fast!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"