3rd Trimester
Options

foley catheter induction

That is what doc will do if I make it to the 15th.  They said I would come into the office in the late afternoon the day before induction and they would insert the foley balloon thing and send me home and I would go back to the hospital the next morning.  I'm going to ask more about this because it seems weird to go home and not be monitored in the hospital that night.  Anyone else heard of this method of induction?  Curious what you think.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: foley catheter induction

• Options
    i am going in friday night to the hospital to have this done..i will stay till i have my baby....my doctor is monitoring me there...i never heard of going home with it...Huh?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had a friend that had that done and she didn't recommend it. She said it hurt and they ended up having to do a c/s on her.

But, thats just hearsay. It was a friend, not me.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I thought that was for urine collection? Why would he do that in the office? I would want one after the epi - then I wouldn't feel it.
  • Options
    I had a foley catheter in when I first got to the hospital 3 weeks ago. It's uncomfortable at first, but I got used to it. They taped the tube to my leg and put the foley bag on the side of my bed. They came and emptied it (or DH would because he's awesome like that) every now and then. If I did something where it would tug, it was mad uncomfortable until the tugging stopped. I could NOT imagine walking around with it. It was weird enough just laying there with it.
  • Options

we can watch these threads...because now im interested also

linky

linky 2

• Options

I don't understand this? A foley can easily be placed in the hospital. Why would they do it the night before an induction?

On a positive note, it would be nice not to have to get up several times a night to use the bathroom.  

• Options
    I think there's some confusion in this thread and I thought I would point it out.  The OP is not talking about a catheter that is used for urine collection.  She's talking about a foley catheter (also called a foley bulb) which is a balloon type thing that is inserted in the cervix and then expanded to help with dilation

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagesmilelari:
    I think there's some confusion in this thread and I thought I would point it out.  The OP is not talking about a catheter that is used for urine collection.  She's talking about a foley catheter (also called a foley bulb) which is a balloon type thing that is inserted in the cervix and then expanded to help with dilation

thisYes

i was getting confused also...its used to help open the cervix

• Options
    right, this is what my friend said hurts. They did it to her in the hospital, though. And apparently it did not open the cervix for her.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Here is an article I found about the foley induction: 

https://pregnancy.about.com/od/induction/f/foleycatheter.htm

• Options

Jumping in if that's ok...

I had the bulb catheter inserted on a Friday afternoon and my Son was born very early Monday morning. I was sent home with it too.

My process went like this: The catheter is a long tube that actually had 2 bulbs on it; 1 for the cervix and one that was classified the vaginal bulb. My Dr got them in place then inserted 80cc's of saline into each bulb to inflate them. The cervical one wasn't that bad, the vaginal one was uncomfortable. I had to lay down a bit to get calmed down from it but was then sent home. I was told I would be induced at some point that weekend.

I was sent home with a syringe to empty the vaginal bulb of saline after 12 hours. I made it to 11 because it got very uncomfortable. My cervical bulb remained in place until my induction began on Saturday night. Mine did get me to 4cm which made it possible for me to go right to pitocin and get going.

It was not comfortable by any means but I think it really depends on the Dr about the sending you home part. There is no monitoring really needed, I spent then night laying down and talking with DH because we figured it was our last night just the two of us. -- end my two cents...

• Options

I replied to another thread, but I will post my experience too.  Its not for urine:)  It gets inserted into your cervix and it somewhat forces it open.  Mine was very uncomfortable, it was hard to walk and to sit.  But I could lay down and it was okay.  I took tylenol and went to bed and it didn't bother me.  It just gave me mild cramping.  I hear most foleys do their job and fall out.  Not mine.  So I got my call at about 10am to come in for my induction at 11am.  At about noon I started pitocin and started walking the halls.  At about 5 it felt like the baby kicked the baby monitor hard and I actually heard a pop.  Then I started leaking.  My MW came in and tugged on the foley and when it came out so did my water.  Very soon after I got the painful contractions.  I think I labored through them for an hour or two and asked how much longer.  Whatever their answer was I told them I wanted an epi.  I got it and ended up taking a nap.  The epi had an issue and started numbing my chest so they shut it off.  I had my baby vaginally at 11: 29pm.

I really hope that I go without getting induced this time, but it wasnt that bad.

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
  • Options
    imagekimberly.kent:

Jumping in if that's ok...

I had the bulb catheter inserted on a Friday afternoon and my Son was born very early Monday morning. I was sent home with it too.

My process went like this: The catheter is a long tube that actually had 2 bulbs on it; 1 for the cervix and one that was classified the vaginal bulb. My Dr got them in place then inserted 80cc's of saline into each bulb to inflate them. The cervical one wasn't that bad, the vaginal one was uncomfortable. I had to lay down a bit to get calmed down from it but was then sent home. I was told I would be induced at some point that weekend.

I was sent home with a syringe to empty the vaginal bulb of saline after 12 hours. I made it to 11 because it got very uncomfortable. My cervical bulb remained in place until my induction began on Saturday night. Mine did get me to 4cm which made it possible for me to go right to pitocin and get going.

It was not comfortable by any means but I think it really depends on the Dr about the sending you home part. There is no monitoring really needed, I spent then night laying down and talking with DH because we figured it was our last night just the two of us. -- end my two cents...

This is similar to my story, but I don't know about 2 bulbs.  And I never deflated anything :)

Love: 8/2000 | Marriage: 7/2005 | Baby makes three: 3/28/2007 | And one more makes...SIX?
    Steal my kids picture or pretend they are yours, I will find where you live and ship all of their dirty diapers to your doorstep. Promise. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"