Maryland Babies

Pregnancy Massage

I am hoping someone has a rec for a great pregnancy massage.  I am looking for the type that has the table with the cut out in the middle so I can lay on my stomach for at least a portion of it.  Every place I have called so far has said side lying only, with pillows supporting you....not exactly what I would like!

I have called:

About Faces

Spa on the Avenue

Studio 921

Lynn's Day Spa

The Pearl

Baltimore School of Massage

Massage Envy

Red Door Spa at Cross Keys

I am calling FX studios and Renaissance Spa tomorrow when they are open...although the last one does not even list a prenatal massage as a service on their webpage.  Anyone have any recs for a place or even a person that will come to you?  TIA!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image

Re: Pregnancy Massage

• You might want to try All About Me in Towson...might be a shot in the dark but who knows.  Good Luck and let us know if the other two have what you are looking for!
  • Thanks for the rec!  I looked on their website and it does not say anything about prenatal massages and they are closed Sun and Mon.  I will try to call them on Tues!
  • Loading the player...
  • Robert andrew salon and spa in gambrills . they dont have a table but they have this awesome pillow/ support  that you lay on that supports your belly .Basically it conforms to you and supports  you  very well - I am a bigger gal !!. It was amazing to be able to get all the  pressure off my back when I was preggo  . Then they remove it so you  can lie on your back for the rest of the massage . GL

• FX Studios uses pillows but it sounds like the one at Robert Andrew salon would be better.  I went and got one there when I was very pregnant.  It was nice but I was worried about putting too much pressure on my belly...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • WHAT?! I was sure About Faces did it. Last time I was there, they were suggesting I do it.  I looked on their website and the list a pregnancy massage. I was pretty sure they even specifically mentioned the pregnancy table...hmph.  :-/

In any case, keep us posted on what you find out...I'd like to get a massage with the table as well. I'm holding out until I really really need it.

ETA: Yeah, I just looked at About Faces again. You're right! I'm so pissed! I don't find it very comfortable laying on my side for very long b/c it hurts my shoulders. The massage tables are not as cushiony as a regular bed mattress and I don't want to be in an uncomfortable position for a freakin' massage! I was so looking forward to this!!! Super Angry

• Maybe also try La Papillon in Timonium. They list a pregnancy massage under the Mama Mia package, but they don't specify what kind.
  • Hmm..I called both both About Faces in Canton and Timonium and they both said it's a no go on the stomach...side only.  The massage therapist I spoke to said he was pretty sure all the About Faces locations were the same.  He also said I was going to have a hard time finding a place that will allow that and did not have any place to suggest.

La Papillion is closed on Mondays.

I called Renaissance Spa in Cockeysville and they are side only too.

I called FX studios and they checked and said that you can have stomach time, but there is no cut out on the table but they use pillows.  I hope they are right as I might make an appt there then at the end of this week!    

Robert Andrew sounds great but it is a bit far for me to go.  I did call them and they said exactly what you said...they use a maternity pillow so you can be on your back and then your side...I will keep it in mind though! 

• I liked the massage I got at The Healing Path in Federal Hill. They didn't use a cut out table for me but then I didn't ask either.  I also remember reading a thread either here or on another board about this, where it was said that the cut-out tables are actually not recommended, and most licensed therapists won't use them - something about impacting circulation and/or back pain...
  • In a quick search, I found a video talking about prenatal massage and they mentioned that you shouldn't have it in your 1st or 3rd trimester. Has anyone else come across this??? I know you can't get one in your 1st trimester, but this is the first time I've heard about the 3rd trimester. I'd be really upset if that were the case b/c I've been holding off for later and I go into my 3rd trimester this Friday!!

ETA: Sounds like reviews are mixed on the massage table issue. But it's not a good sign if none of the places in the area do it. Also looks like the 3rd trimester is safe (phew!) but you shouldn't be on your back after 20 weeks. I give a side eye to this since it's not for extended period of time and people do still sleep on their backs occassionally (i switch around) .

https://www.parentingweekly.com/pregnancy/pregnancy_health_fitness/massage.htm

• Thanks ladies for all the input!  Seems like there is a reason if none of the better known spas in the area have that table.  I think I will schedule one soon with one of the ones closest to me and not worry about tummy time.
  • I go to Ojas Wellness and they ask you whether you want side lying or face down. I've done both and like the face down method a lot better. They have locations in Hunt Valley, Owings Mills and Mt. Washington.

HTH

• I got a prenatal massage 2 yrs ago (when I was 24 wks)  @ the Spa @ the Fairmont Princess resort in Scottsdale AZ, when we were on our babymoon there, it was an awesome spa and they had the table w/ the cut-out, I wouldn't bother getting one if it was side-lying thing. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imagedaisyterp:
    I got a prenatal massage 2 yrs ago (when I was 24 wks)  @ the Spa @ the Fairmont Princess resort in Scottsdale AZ, when we were on our babymoon there, it was an awesome spa and they had the table w/ the cut-out, I wouldn't bother getting one if it was side-lying thing. 

That sounds like a great babymoon!  We just went to OC...jealous! ;)

• I went to Robert Andrew spa in Crofton/Gambrills ang I laid face down in their special pillow! Love that place!!!
  • Life Force Chiropractic has an awesome massage therapist.  Her name is Sherry Beard and # at the office is 410-760-4141.  She's amazing!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OJAS Wellness center does them.  My mother-in-law just sent me a gift card for one.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My doctor's office has info on preg massages, here's their phone number:

410-832-5511

Dylan Gabriel 04/29/10 Aiden Drake 04/28/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"