Special Needs

Introduction - Son (6 weeks) has hearing loss

Hi everyone,

My name is Melissa, I live in South Florida, and this is my first child (Owen).  We have learned that he has hearing loss in both ears, and are in the process of confirming the nature and degree of the loss.  Needless to say, this has been something of a shock.  Owen has a developmental eval for EI in 2 weeks, and also more audiological testing.  We are also going to have  genetic tests done to see if the cause is genetic.  Also, Owen has "lop ears," which basically means the cartilage isn't hard enough to keep his ears up - if they don't harden w/n the next 6 mos., he will need plastic surgery later on.

Does anyone here have a child who is deaf or hard of hearing? Or have any experience with lop ears?  

Re: Introduction - Son (6 weeks) has hearing loss

•  Hi

Im so sorry you and he will have to deal with all of this, and so soon...... But I am so glad you have already been in contact with EI. 

The only thing I know about is ear abnormalities. My son was born w/ bilateral ear tags - 2 on each side. Just make sure all the doctors refer to his issue as a 'birth defect' and not something 'elective' and your insurance woes will be less of a hassle.

I hope you get some more concrete answers soon. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I have a friend who's daughter was born deaf for whatever reason. After a bunch of tests they found out it was not genetic. Her daughtergot cochlier ear implants abour 6 months ago and is now talking and hearing fine. She was 1 when she had the procedure done.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am no help but welcome to the board!  Hearing aids available these days are amazing- they are like night and day from the huge buzzing ones my great-g'ma had!
  • my daughter lost her hearing to bacterial meningitis this summer and just got bilateral cochlear implants last week.  We are on day 5 post-activation and she is doing well.  It will be a process, but she already hears now, and with therapy should get back on track with language.  Honestly, though frightening, it is minor surgery to the doctors, and my dd was back on her feet w/in 24 hrs, and we were flying home a day later.  The benefits outweigh the challenges, imo.  Good luck with you ds, the earlier you can respond to his needs, the better,  I know people who's dc never fell off the development curve b/c they caught his hearing loss early and got CIs asap.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My DD has bilateral hearing loss.  It started out unilateral but has progressed.  I am glad that you are already set up for EI - we love our dead and hard of hearing teacher.

My daughters loss is due to congenital CMV.

• My DH has severe hearing loss in both ears.  They think he was born this way, and back then they didn't do too many tests to figre out why.  I just want to say that he learned to overcome any hurdles he faced even when he was a small child in school.  He has had a very normal life and even considers his hearing loss a blessing sometimes (can tune out a crying baby, doesn't get awakened during storms, etc.). 

They can do so many more things now than they could do 43 years ago when he was born.  If you ever want to chat about it feel free to PM me.  I hope this helped you.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Does your DD have hearing aids? What degree of loss does she have?  Have you decided on a communication modality (oral, sign language, total communication, etc?)  I'm sorry to barrage you with questions but am trying to learn as much as possible how other parents have handled this.

• Hi, My son was diagnosed with a mild to moderate hearing loss when he was two months old.  We have hearing aids, but he doesn't respond with them so we are thinking he has a progressive hearing loss.  We have started doing sign language and it is amazing to watch him pick it up!  He is starting to realize that if he does this sign he will get what he wants.  I know this is challenging time for you.  If you need to vent or have any questions you can pm me.
  • I am a teacher of the deaf/hard of hearing (in Florida) and have deaf family members. Feel free to PM me with questions! Good for you for getting such a huge head start in diagnosing and working with your son.
  • We have two boys and our first was born with a hearing loss in both ears. His loss is mild to moderately severe. He wears aids and goes weekly to speech therapy. His speech is great and most people don't realize he is aided unless we tell them. We had to go through all of the testing and Dr.s apts in the beginning. It can be so confusing. They can do so much for hearing these days. Please message me if you have any questions. I can share any information or experiences with you. My son is now 2 1/2 and was in at least one hearing aid by 4 months. Early intervention is key (and supportive parents)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"