Detroit Babies
Options

Unsafe toys: Toy Safety List

A couple of posts down, some posters were talking about an unsafe toy. I hunted around and found this link:

https://www.toysafety.mobi/unsafetoylist.html

It lists toys that were deemed unsafe by the  U.S.PIRG?s 2009 Toy Safety Report, Trouble In Toyland.  If you click on the link, it also shows you pictures of the toys.  Just wanted to share with everyone...

Toy Name: Bright Lights Phone
Manufacturer: vetch

Noise Hazard

Toy Name: Laugh & Learn Learning Phone
Manufacturer: Fisher Price
Noise Hazard

Toy Name: Kota and Pals Stompers Triceratops
Manufacturer: Playskool 
Noise Hazard

Toy Name: Secret Saturdays Cryptid Claw
Manufacturer: Mattel
 Noise Hazard

Toy Name: Creative Wood Stacking Rings
Manufacturer: Zaidy
 Choking hazard; label violation

Toy Name: Real Wood Shape Sorter Barn
Manufacturer: P&C Enterprise

Toy Name: Unnamed Play Food Tray
Manufacturer: World Market

Toy Name: My First Baby Learn
Manufacturer: Zapf Creation

Toy Name: Pizza Planet Gift Pak / Toy Story
Manufacturer: Mattel 

Toy Name: Fur Real Baby Bird
Manufacturer: Hasbro

Toy Name: Touch & Feel Cloth Book
Manufacturer: Priddy Books
 Contains Lead

Toy Name: Alligator Cell Phone Charm
Manufacturer: Claire?s
 Contains Lead

Toy Name: Collector?s Series Painted Duck
Manufacturer: Dollar Tree

Contains Lead

Toy Name: Knight?s Helmet
Manufacturer: Dollar Tree
 Contains Lead

Toy Name: Pretty Princess Puppy Purse
Manufacturer: Claire?s
 Phthalates in excess of ban

Toy Name: Elmo Lunch Bag 
Manufacturer: Fast Forward New York
 Phthalates in excess of ban
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Unsafe toys: Toy Safety List

• Options

Crap.  We have some of the Priddy cloth books.  Guess I'll be tossing those, along w/ our Melissa & Doug Geometric Stacker (not on the list you posted but it apparently has super high levels of barium in the paint).  Also, I was watching the news last week & the Leapfrog Learn & Groove music table was tested to have high levels of lead.  :(  We have that, too. 

Ugh.  I just don't understand why toy makers don't come up w/ safer alternatives?!?!?  Are there safe toy lists out there?  I just want a list that has safe toys made in the USA!

• Options

The problem with most of the toys out on the market is they are made in China or other countries overseas.  I've had to deal with this issue in the automotive industry as well.  The quality control is awful and quite frankly the manufacturing plants could give a rats ass.  They want to have a fast turn around time and cheap production.  It's up to the companies to run testing on the toys to make sure they are safe.  Things slip through the cracks because they are only required to run tests on a certain # of parts.  It scares the hell out of me.  There needs to be better checks in place to ensure consumers are not buying unsafe products.

Anyways, off my soap box.  Thank you so much for posting the info.  Even though I haven't given birth yet, it's nice to have a list of things to not buy.  Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"