San Diego Babies

Moving to San Diego

Hi Ladies-

I just found out that we will be moving to San Diego in about a month from Oregon.  I can see that this board is pretty slow but would love any input.  I have a 19 month old and am due with my second in February.  My questions would be:  What areas are good, safe, kid friendly areas near Sorrento?  Also I am concerned about the cost of living increase, if we were to rent an apartment what would the utilities cost?  Water? Internet? Electricity? Gas?

Thanks in advance, any info will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Moving to San Diego

• Hi there! 

From what I remember from apartment living, water+trash can run anywhere from $40-100/month, depending on how your building is metered. Internet is usually around $50, or $125 bundled with cable and telephone. Electricity and gas is usually between $75-125+ depending on time of year and how much you use the heater/AC.

I'm not a mom yet, but I do know that beaches like Torrey Pines State Reserve & Moonlight Beach in Encinitas are very family friendly.

• Thanks for the response. That gives me an idea.  Sounds like up to double what we pay now.  Kinda sad considering what I pay for now is for our house, and having it be that expensive in an apartment shocks me.  Not so much looking forward to going back to apartment living.

I've also been looking at car registration and things like that.  Do you know if the car registration fee is per year or every other year?  I cannot believe it will be almost 300 dollars per car when I pay 50 for 2 years here.  eeek. 

Congrats on the pregnancy!  Good luck with everything!

• Loading the player...
  • imageBabyBanana:

Thanks for the response. That gives me an idea.  Sounds like up to double what we pay now.  Kinda sad considering what I pay for now is for our house, and having it be that expensive in an apartment shocks me.  Not so much looking forward to going back to apartment living.

I've also been looking at car registration and things like that.  Do you know if the car registration fee is per year or every other year?  I cannot believe it will be almost 300 dollars per car when I pay 50 for 2 years here.  eeek. 

Congrats on the pregnancy!  Good luck with everything!

Car registration here is paid every year.  And it just went up.  My husband has an '08 Subaru Impreza (basic model) and the registration for it was $270 this year.  I expect my '09 Honda Pilot to be about $400 next year.

As for utilities, I would count on $125 for cable/internet, $50 or so for water/trash/sewer and $50 or so for gas/electric (combined into one bill here).  Of course that can go way up if you crank the A/C, but you shouldn't have to near the coast.

After 2 rounds of IVF & 2 rounds of FET, we were blessed with identical twin girls!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DH and I are in the Del Mar/Torrey Hills area. It's nice and quiet but IMO it is expensive for what you get. If you go a little further inland it's better. I know there are some areas in Rancho Penasquitos that are reasonable and close to major freeways. Still a good area though. We were considering it but now we are trying to move to WA. So we are practically swapping places
  • Thanks for the information ladies.  I really can't believe how much more expensive it is to live down there.  On top of that you have sales tax which I have never paid in my life. 

I think we have decided that I will not be joining my husband down there til after our second baby is due in February.  A little less stressful than moving in a month. 

If you are moving to Vancouver and want to buy a really nice practically new townhouse in OR...Mine will be on the market shortly:)

• I moved from WI to CA and the cost increase was a huge shock. I like to say we're paying for the sunshine:) Jobs do tend to pay more here, so that does off set some of the cost. Good luck with your move:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Babywearing, cloth diapering, formula and breastmilk feeding, still can't believe I'm a mom, momma to my little man, two furbabies, and two angel babies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"