3rd Trimester

If your OB does "global billing"

Can you tell me the total amount that they are billing you?  I know this is different for everyone but I'd like to see what amounts people are paying.

Re: If your OB does "global billing"

• I am paying $120 at each appt.

With my insurance, I have to pay a $250 deductable and then my max out of pocket for the year is $1500.

The hospital is asking for $400 before delivery. Once I reach my max, insurance takes over.  

• $1500.  One thousand is deductible and the other five hundred is an estimate of the percentage of delivery that the insurance doesn't pay.  It will be more if there's a need for a c-section of course.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Its either $2600 or $2800. I can't remember off the top of my head. Most likely we will have hit our deductible with insurance so I really dont care because insurance will be taking care of that bill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagesusanlovestexas:

$1500.  One thousand is deductible and the other five hundred is an estimate of the percentage of delivery that the insurance doesn't pay.  It will be more if there's a need for a c-section of course.

Okay, so the amount they're charging you includes the estimated delivery and not just the fees for the OB?

• I pay $220 prior to delivery for my OB visits. And that does not include ultrasounds. Or the delivery itself.

My hospital also is trying to collect money proir to delivery but I won't pay. My insurance is telling me only to pay after the services are provided and a bill is submitted to the insurance company otherwise they will deduct my payment from the amount they send to my insurance (therefor not applying it to my deductable).

Besides, I don't want to pay before I deliver. What happens if (heaven forbid) I have to deliver at a different hospital?

• Another question: If you're being billed X amount at each appointment, does your receipt specify that the charges you are paying are for delivery/OB fees, etc?
  • imageMrsRebecca:
    imagesusanlovestexas:

$1500.  One thousand is deductible and the other five hundred is an estimate of the percentage of delivery that the insurance doesn't pay.  It will be more if there's a need for a c-section of course.

Okay, so the amount they're charging you includes the estimated delivery and not just the fees for the OB?

For me, this includes all of my prenatal visits and the OB showing up at the hospital to catch the baby and stitch me back together.  The only thing it doesn't cover is the hospital bill for the stay there and the fees for the anesthesiologist....those bills will come separately after we get home from the hospital.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMrsRebecca:
    Another question: If you're being billed X amount at each appointment, does your receipt specify that the charges you are paying are for delivery/OB fees, etc?

There have been a few things my insurance hasnt covered because I havent met my deductible yet. Once I pay an amount I get a reciet saying what was paid and what that went to. For me it doesnt matter I just have to prove I have paid X out of pocket and insurance kicks in

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • After insurance, my total for my OB is like 540.  It includes 1 sonogram.

• imagesusanlovestexas:
    imageMrsRebecca:
    imagesusanlovestexas:

For me, this includes all of my prenatal visits and the OB showing up at the hospital to catch the baby and stitch me back together.  The only thing it doesn't cover is the hospital bill for the stay there and the fees for the anesthesiologist....those bills will come separately after we get home from the hospital.

This is very helpful, thank you!

I was on the phone with my insurance company recently and somehow the $20 co-pay my OB charges me at every visit came up.  The insurance lady said that is not correct according to my coverage UNLESS the OB is global billing me.

Multiplying $20 by each appointment I get $260. So I'm trying to figure out if I am being charged 10% of a $2,600 bill. All of my receipts say "co-pay" and not anything about "global billing".  Every time I call the billing dept. at my OB I get the same damn lady who just say, "I don't know why they're charging you like that."

I want to make sure that I'm being bill/charged correctly!

• My office does, but because we have medicaid as our secondary insurance that covers what our primary doesn't, I have no idea.  Fine by me.  I pay a premium for medicaid as well as for our primary.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • What is "global billing"? I am shocked by the numbers some of you are paying.

I have an HMO and with my last pregnancy I paid a $10 co-pay for the entire pregnancy and delivery (including myself and my daughter).

I did recieve a $3000 bill from the hospital after the birth for my daughter, but when I spoke with the insurance company they said the hospital was illegally try to collect twice. The matter was put to rest. I was shocked, but we only paid $10 including 5 US throughout the whole pregancy.

• At one of my first OB appointments I had to sign something in regards to this global billing of sorts.  It states that the global fee of a typical pregnancy and delivery including all doctor appointments and the doctor being there at the hospital is 4624.00. 

It also states that they DO NOT bill this until after your delivery.  So I would assume that this would mean global billing is billing for all doctor visits and anything done in a typical pregnancy throughout the course of the nine months.

I have had 7 monthly payments of roughly $130.00 which I am responsible for percentage wise of the bill.  The rest will be covered by my insurance provider.  However, this is completely separate from what I will be billed from the hospital for room, epidural, etc. 

• I pay 345.00 at each visit for 6 months. I've paid 4 months already.  I will be paid up in Jan, but this payment is only for the birth, not my prenatal visits. The dr's office will bill for all of that once my LO is here......CRAZY RIGHT!
  • With my insurance, I had to pay my OB a $600 deductible that was due by the 20th week of my pregnancy.  This covers everything except the hospital stay/delivery ... though it does cover my OBs part in the delivery.  After the baby is born, I'll owe the hospital another $1000 or $1500 (I can't remember..) for my maximum out of pocket for the year.
  • I would die if I had to pay the amounts some of you are having to pay!!! (I wouldn't have a choice, but it still sucks) I have to pay a 50$ copay when I enter the hospital at delivery, and that's it. I pay nothing for the visits to my OB. Maybe my insurance premiums are a little more per month or something to make up the difference, I don't know. I'm sure the insurance company gets it's money from me somehow!!!
  • With dd, I paid the OB $200.  After delivery, I received a bill for the hospital, which was for 20% of the total bill.  I think we ended up paying about $5000 to the hospital.  I had some complications though and was there 4 days for a vaginal delivery.

This time, under different insurance, still an 80/20 plan, we paid the OB $400 and we will receive a bill from the hospital.  We also have to pay the OB office for circumcision at my next appt. which I can't remember the cost. 

• Wow, this is so amazing to me the amount of money being paid for appointments and stuff.

I guess because I'm in the military and don't pay for medical and dental I never thought of the cost of having a baby in the civillian world.

This is really eye-opening for me.

Photobucket
  • imageblancanyc69:

Wow, this is so amazing to me the amount of money being paid for appointments and stuff.

I guess because I'm in the military and don't pay for medical and dental I never thought of the cost of having a baby in the civillian world.

This is really eye-opening for me.

The price people are talking about includes the OB fees for performing the delivery.  It's not just prenatal appointments. But yeah, medical care can be very expensive.

• My total is around $2500 for a vaginal delivery and pre-natal appointments. It didn't cover my NT scan though and I never thought to ask if it covered my hospital stay. I will need to check on that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"