Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

taxes ???

I hate to even think about this ... but December brings the time I start getting my stuff together (it typically takes me a good month and a half).

So, since Hope was born alive we were told at the hospital (which at the time seemed very oddly timed) that we could claim her on our taxes this year.  We recieved both a birth and death certificate.  But, not a social security card.  Is this all I need to do this?  Anyone have any idea?

I feel odd calling my tax preparer and asking him ... but thought maybe someone on here has been through this...

Re: taxes ???

• Options

Yes you can in fact claim her on your taxes!  You do need to get her social security card though.  Grace's was mailed to me but I have yet to get her birth and death certificates (I have to go get them)...  Grace was born alive as well.

You can in fact use her as a deduction..  I talked to our company accountant about this...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I was told the same at the hospital. Isadora lived for 24 minutes and we can claim her as well. I have not filed for her SS card but should be receiving her birth certificate in the mail. My husband and I are still up in the air about claiming her as a deduction. I'm having issues with it being morally right. Any insights? This whole thing is just "effed" up! Pardon the expression!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagedoranelly:

I was told the same at the hospital. Isadora lived for 24 minutes and we can claim her as well. I have not filed for her SS card but should be receiving her birth certificate in the mail. My husband and I are still up in the air about claiming her as a deduction. I'm having issues with it being morally right. Any insights? This whole thing is just "effed" up! Pardon the expression!

I was torn about it at first too, but look at it this way..  They are acknowledging that she was a real person (which means alot to me).  And the money you recover from using her as a deduction may help off set some of the insurance bills you may have. 

As much as it sucks at least they acknowledge she was real! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Cowgirl, thanks for the post. You are right! They are also acknowledging our babies existed. That makes me feel a lot better. Fortunately, our insurance covered everything...I can take the money and make a donation in her name :). Thanks again for clarifying!
  • Options
    I just wanted to share, but today marks three months since my daughter, Isadora was born/died. After coming home from the cemetery, my hubby brings in the mail and her SS card was in there! We didn't even apply for it, although we knew we wanted to. We believe the hospital might have just processed it. Hugs!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"