High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

*GD question**

Hi all- I was diagnosed with GD less than 2 weeks ago but after meeting with both my OB and MFM docs I am waiting on an appt with a nutritionist.  Until then, I've been monitoring my diet to the best of my ability which involves no sweets, only whole wheat/multi grain carbs, skim milk (I was drinking whole)...but I'm super hungry all of the time now.  I was never a big soda drinker at all so avoiding those isn;t an issue but I typically eat a lot of pasta and bread and cutting on those is difficult to replace.  I had my OB appt and I lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks!  I can't be losing weight during pregnancy.  Any online diet plans to suggest or pointers to help me until my appt with the nutritionist?  TIA!!

Re: *GD question**

• Options

Since you're carry twins, your nutritional guidelines will probably be different that most of us GD mamas here.

I am carrying a singleton and here's my GD eating plan:

Breakfast - 30 g/carbs

Snack - 30 g/carbs

Lunch - 45 g/carbs 

Snack - 30 g/carbs

Dinner - 45 g/carbs 

Snack - 30 g/carb 

I am to eat 2200 calories a day and do my best to get 80-100 g/protein a day too.

A typical day for me looks like this:

Breakfast - 2 scrambled eggs with 1 oz. shredded cheese and 2 low carb tortillas (small size)

Snack - 1 c. plain yogurt, 1/4. flax seed granola, 1/4 c. of plain almonds

Lunch - Green salad (1 c.), 1/2 c. quinoa pasta, 3 oz. grilled shrimp, 1/2 c. broccoli, 1/4 c. alfredo sauce

Snack - small apple (4 oz.), 2 tbpn. peanut butter, 8 oz. 1% milk

Dinner - Green salad (1 c.), 3 oz. sweet potato oven "fries", 6 small turkey meatballs (Foster Farm's frozen), 1/2 c. steamed asparagus, 8 oz. 1% milk

Snack - 2 mini ice cream sandwiches (12 g/carb each)

Other things I like are 2 oz. lox salmon on 2 slices of high fiber toast with  2 tbpn. cream cheese; 6 graham crackers with 1 c. milk; 1 c. cottage cheese with 1 slice of high fiber toast with butter and low-sugar jam (1 tbpn.)

I basically come up with different 30 g/carb and 45 g/carb combos that I know I can eat to fulfill my plan and rotate them each day.  Makes it simple.  To avoid hunger stick with high fiber carbs and add protein and a little fat to each meal or snack so it will stick with you!  Good luck! 

• Options
    Thanks-very sweet f you to give me all this info!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I was recently diagnosed also. My plan is pretty similar to the pp.

15 grams carbohydrate = 1 carb serving

My plan:

Breakfast 2-3 servings

Snack 1-2

Lunch 3-4

Snack 1-2

Dinner 4-5

Snack 1-2

I'm supposed to aim for 12-14 daily carb servings.

One of my friends with GD gave me this list - everything = 15 grams carbohydrate:

Grains/Potatoes
    1 slice of bread
    1/2 cup mashed potatoes
    1/2 baked potato
    1/4 cup pasta
    1/2 cup rice
    1/2 cup cereal (varies)

Veggies
    1/2 cup of peas
    1/2 cup of corn
    1.5 cups of green beans
    Fruit
    15 grapes
    1 small apple
    1 small orange
    Snacks
    9 ounces skim milk
    6 Townhouse Crackers + 2 tablespoons peanut butter
    South Beach High Protein Cereal Bars
    21 Cheetos
    15 Pringles + 2 tablespoons chip dip
    Jello Pudding Pop
    1/2 cup of ice cream
    Fun-size Candy Bar

• Options
    My diet is very similar to pp.  I just wanted to mention to be very careful until you see the dietician about under eating carbs (may be the cause of your weight loss).  Not eating enough carbs can lead your body to go into ketoacidoses which is just as bad if not worse than high blood sugars. I test each morning to ensure I am not dropping ketones in my urine and have been clearly told that this indicates not eating enough and to call the OB immediately.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Just eat sensibly until you see the dietitian.  I'd suggest double-checking everything with your doctor afterward, too!  My dietitian didn't really understand my issue (GD, PCOS and IR) and had me eating 250 g of carbs a day.  My numbers were through the roof - over 200.  My doctor put me on insulin 3x a day and reduced my carbs to 50 g a day.  It took a couple of weeks, but my numbers have been right where they need to be!  250 g of carbs was just too much for my body to handle.
  • Options

It is good to keep an eye on the amount of carbs. I have been on my GD diet for almost 2 weeks, I was having some really low numbers and called my doc. I was also hungry A LOT! They suggested I added more protein, they said it slows the sugar and will help me to fell full longer. I make sure I have some protein with each meal and snack and my numbers have been better. They are still low, but they are no longer on the verge of hypoglycemic. Good luck, my doctor also said that most women lose a little weight or do not gain during the last part of their pregnancy due to the diet. Hopefully the nutritionist will give you a diet that will help you not lose a ton more, you probably aren't eating enough calories. Remember that they important thing is for the baby to gain weight, in the 2 weeks on the diet, I have lost 2.5 pounds (now I was heavier pre-pg, so it is not a big deal), the baby seems to be as active as ever.

GL!

• Options

I'm also pg with twins and have GD. I'm on a diet of 2400 calories a day to make sure I continue to gain weight. Here's my plan:

Breakfast - 30-45 grams of carbs, 2 meats, 2 fats, no fruit

Snack - 11-30 grams of carbs, 1-2 meat/fat

Lunch - 45-60 grams of carbs, 2-3 oz of meat, 2-3 fats

Afternoon snack - 30 grams of carbs, 1-2 meats/fats

Dinner - 45-60 grams of carbs, 3-4 meats, 3 fats

Bedtime snack - 11-30 grams of carbs, 1-2 meats/fats

I never go hungry. Your diet should have a lot of food spread throughout the day. There are actually times I have to force myself to eat to make sure I get enough calories. Can you call the nutritionist and ask to get in earlier. Stress that you're having twins are are already 31 weeks pg and are really concerned. Thats what I did and I got in the next day. GL.

• Options

I'm GD too - singleton here.

Breakfast - 30 g/carbsSnack - 24-30 g/carbsLunch - 45 g/carbs Snack - 30 g/carbsDinner - 45 g/carbs 

Snack - 20 g/carb  

I eat a lot of eggs, a piece of toast with sugar free jelly and an apple with peanut butter, soup (progressive )  and chicken and broccoli for dinner

For snacks, I do peanuts or a half of an apple.

It's tough.  I have 50 more days.... I just need to make it without going crazy.  Just remember to not cheat, you don't want a big baby, 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    There are a lot of foods with "good" fats in them, like olive oil, nuts, and avocados. I ate a lot of those when I was pg.
  • Options

My numbers are as follows:

b-fast- 30 carbs

snack-20 carbs

lunch- 45 carbs

snack- 20 carbs

dinner- 45 carbs

snack- 20 carbs

This has been working for me for the most part.  I usually don't max these amounts out and if my last reading was high I def go easy on the next meal.  It is getting much harder to control the farther I got though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"