Postpartum Depression
Options

What to do...no insurance :(

I think I have PPD or something similar to it but I don't have insurance to go to a dr to be dx....what should I do? I feel annoyed, aggravated, and just disconnected a lot of the time. I can be very easily irritated by DS if he doesn't fall asleep right away or stop whining. DH tries to help but I'm home all day by myself with no car to go anywhere. TIA for any advice!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What to do...no insurance :(

• Options

Do you have any religious affiliation?  I know a lot of priests/pastors have counseling experience so someone like that could help if you absolutely cannot afford therapy.  Also, even if you don't have insurance, could you afford maybe one session with a psychiatrist or your PCP and have them prescribe you something if they think you are suffering and need medication?  If you could get something generic, I think the monthly cost would be fairly low. Hope you feel better.

• Options
    Many places have a sliding fee scale.  I would call a few different psychologist offices or nurse practitioners and see if they can work with you.  If you had a PCP you could call for names or even call your ob-gyn for names.  My midwife referred me to my psychologist/nurse practitioner.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Look at this website:

https://www.postpartumstress.com/index.html

They are in PA,  but do phone consultations and could lead you to a lot of resources in your area that would take you probably free or at least on a sliding scale. I'm going to post this for everyone to see. It's a great organization and  they are solely for PPD/A.  

DS#1~ 6/8/09 DS#2~ 5/12/11
  • Options
    Lots of towns have free clinics or ones on a sliding fee scale.  This is what I used in college when I had no insurance and was very depressed.  I hope you can find something!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    If your income qualifies, you could also apply for state insurance. There are quite a few patients in my practice that use it and I know there are many offices that accept it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"