Baby Showers

Gift giving from a distance...

Hi all, I need to pick your brains for a minute. My family is throwing my cousin a baby shower for her first little one. We are located here in New Jersey, but she has just moved to Florida. The shower will be here in NJ but we are trying to figure out a way to "give gifts" without them actually be at the shower. We want to have everyone send their gifts directly to her so she won't have a problem getting them back home. We thought of the picture in a card idea, but we are hoping for something different.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to give the gift and not take away the excitment of opening presents without actually haivng the gift in hand? I know, probably not possible, but we are willing to try!

Thanks!

Re: Gift giving from a distance...

• For the people who may have pooled together to get a bigger ticket item, you could wrap up a small model or figurine/ornament of the gift.  I know I've seen tons of baby items in miniature as ornaments or favors!

Or, have people bring a token additional gift, like a recipe, family photos with bio to make an album for baby, or other small free/inexpensive items that could go with a picture of the item you're sending.  That way she'll get something right then, and anticipate the something later!

• If you're asking from the perspective that you know most people want to do this and are on board w/ it, great. 

However, if there are people you are inviting who you want to find a way to tell them "Just give a gift card", don't do it.

People WANT to bring gifts and want to see them opened by the mother.  As they really are doing the mom a HUGE favor, the least she can do is to prepare to have to take some gifts home.

However, a few things to keep in mind.

1- hopefully your guests are smart enough to realize "she has to travel - I should keep the gift on the smaller side".  Give them a little credit on that front!

2- if she does get any large gifts, she can return them in NJ for credit, then when she gets back to FL, rebuy them down there.

But again- I don't know who your guests are. They may all already be thinking of this!

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • If you know someone wants to buy her a certain something, ask them to get a gift card for the cost of the item and write on the card what they are 'buying' her.
  • I'm sure your cousin has figured out by now that she needs to budget for shipping gifts.

• imageRoxyLynn:

I'm sure your cousin has figured out by now that she needs to budget for shipping gifts.

THIS! If I were going to have to fly for a shower, I would plan on shipping some things home...especially the larger items or doing as suggested above and return the large stuff for giftcards and re-purchase once I'm home.  Fortunately, I only have to drive.

I think asking shower attendees to ship items is a little over the top. The whole point of having/attending a shower is to shower the new mom with gifts and well wishes.  Part of that is watching her open the gifts.

• You could do a slide show on the TV of the gifts and who they are from......
  • For my out of town shower, my hostesesses opted to put the following on the invite in small print next to the registry information: "Kindly consider shipping larger gifts. Small gifts and gift cards are welcomed at the shower." I think that was appropriate and simple and will help us a great deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"