Eco-Friendly Family

Poll: what kind of TV do you have?

curious![Poll]
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Poll: what kind of TV do you have?

• We have a flat screen so I chose that but you'll have to minus the "LOVE" part of it.  I could care less what size or type of TV we have.
  • We have a projector and a retractable movie screen with surround sound and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can guarantee it, in total, cost less than 90% of the big flat screens and its HD.
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesommerrayne:
    We have a projector and a retractable movie screen with surround sound and I wouldn't have it any other way. I can guarantee it, in total, cost less than 90% of the big flat screens and its HD.

Friends of our did this and loved it.  Wouldn't work at all in our current TV area - too narrow. 

• We have a flatscreen, but it's not a plasma because when we bought it a few years ago DH did research and decided that plasmas wouldn't last and the flatscreen we have (think it's a Sony Vega) looks good even from an angle blah blah blah... I sat down in Best Buy and read a book while this all went down and we ende dup with a big heavy TV with a flat screen but that still takes up a lot of real estate.

I do love it... it's great for movies with friends.  And it is the only TV I own so i am okay with it being so fancytechiethrilling for DH.

• We have a 13" TV that's about 20 years old that is hooked up to our SNES. It doesn't get actual TV signals - any TV we want to watch, we go upstairs & watch on the 46" plasma (MIL's) or on our computers.
  • I am suprised that many people have fancy enw TV's!

Ours has to be at least 10 years old if not older.  We use it once a month maybe so there is no way to justify a new one.

• There's a 90-something-inch screen in the media room, and a flat screen upstairs.  I agree with Sommer -- home theaters can be very reasonable if you have an appropriate space.  Ours is in a designated room (sans windows), but if you have good room-darkening shades you can have a very large "TV" for quite reasonable.  Obviously, you can spend as much or as little as you'd like, but it doesn't have to be over-the-top pricey. 
  • imageGladToBeMrs.SRS:
    There's a 90-something-inch screen in the media room, and a flat screen upstairs.  I agree with Sommer -- home theaters can be very reasonable if you have an appropriate space.  Ours is in a designated room (sans windows), but if you have good room-darkening shades you can have a very large "TV" for quite reasonable.  Obviously, you can spend as much or as little as you'd like, but it doesn't have to be over-the-top pricey. 
    My brother did this but found over the past few years he's spent more in replacing bulbs than his stuff was worth.....he's an avid TV watcher to say the least.  So he decided to get himself a 72" plasma (LCD?  not sure which he went with) instead.  I think he's happier with this.
  • we have a gigantor thing that was free.  it works for what i need it for, and i'm happy with it being all clunky and old, makes me feel like i'm not the oldest thing in my house :-P
  • imagemdjunebride:

We have a flatscreen, but it's not a plasma because when we bought it a few years ago DH did research and decided that plasmas wouldn't last and the flatscreen we have (think it's a Sony Vega) looks good even from an angle blah blah blah... I sat down in Best Buy and read a book while this all went down and we ende dup with a big heavy TV with a flat screen but that still takes up a lot of real estate.

We have a DLP tv, which I think is what you are talking about.  It's in an entertainment center so it doesn't need to be able to be hung on the wall, and DLPs were cheaper and the picture is good even from an angle, so we got it.  It's a 56 inch Samsung.  Our family room is 20x20 so it doesn't look crazy big.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our FIL just got us a nice flat screen on Black Friday as our Christmas present.  Before that, we always had my parents' hand-me-downs.  We just don't buy TVs.
  • We got an old tv, but are planning to cancel satellite and use that money for a new flat screen.  It certainly won't be giant or fancy, though.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • imageMTOW:
    Our FIL just got us a nice flat screen on Black Friday as our Christmas present.  Before that, we always had my parents' hand-me-downs.  We just don't buy TVs.

We've never bought a TV, either.  Hence our latest hand me down - the consol TV.  I was less than pleased when DH said yes to that one.  We had an ok TV before that that was much easier to get up and down our basement stairs (not that we move the TV ever, but you can only imagine what getting that thing in our house was like...)

Lotte - that's what we said we were going to do with the $ we were saving on cable, but I don't think it will happen any time soon for us - the savings has gotten allocated to other projects a few times now. 

• We haven't had one for the past 5 years. If we want to watch a movie we use the laptops and stereo speakers. 

• We have my parents dinosaur hand me down. I think they got it in the early 90's. It's pretty ugly! We have a converter box and rabbit ears-very stylish in our living room, ha! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"