Preemies
Options

Mtg w/ neonatologist Pre-Delivery next wk.. wwyd?

Hello all,

We have a MoMo twin pregnancy - w/ 2 babies in the same sac.  Due to cord compression fears, they do not like to let these pregnancies go to term. They usually deliver between 32- 34 weeks.  Also, I will have to go in at some point for continuous monitoring in the hospital and we have to pick our gestational date for that.  I am leaning towards 27 weeks.

So, we are meeting with a neonatologist in advance of delivery to discuss what the outcomes are for babies at different stages of gestation and to get a tour of the NICU - because at 34 weeks, which is the best case scenario, they will still need NICU time. 

1. What questions would you ask the neonatologist - in advance of delivery?  I don't know where to start.
  2. Would you go on the NICU tour or skip it?  We don't want to scare ourselves, but I was wondering if it would be helpful to see it before we see our babies in it? 

TIA!!

Re: Mtg w/ neonatologist Pre-Delivery next wk.. wwyd?

• Options

By all means go, if for nothing else, sometimes just picturing the place is better than not knowing. Otherwise you will be picturing something much worse, and this way you can be prepared.

I am very thankful that our neonatologists were all great, I didn't have the luxury of knowing LO would come early, but I'd jsut ask whatever comes to mind. My LO benefited greatly from surfactant, so I'd ask their opinion on that if it's needed...  Best of luck and good wishes!

• Options

I've never been in a delivery situation like yours because I've never had a warning before delivering early, but I would totally recommend the NICU tour!  It's not to scare yourselves, but to be prepared for the "NICU Experience" as I like to call it.  You're going to have enough going on with a preemie baby that will be difficult to experience, let the NICU be something you're already comfortable with. 

I think it's a rare opportunity to be so prepared for a premature delivery.  Really, learn as much as you can about the NICU now and you will certainly be grateful that SOMETHING is familiar about your experience.

Here are some posts from my preemie parenting blog that will give you some insight into NICU life:

NICU - The Layout

In the NICU During the Holidays

Good luck to you!

www.preemiebabies101.com

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would definitely get the tour at some point. I *knew* I was going to have a preemie but was in denial and didn't get the tour and really wished I would have. Questions to ask: At what point will they give you the steroid shots What "warning" signs do they look for with the monitoring? Is there something that could help you determine when you'll be admitted for your bed rest? (if I had the choice I wouldn't have chosen 8 weeks of bed rest, but obviously you do it if it's what will save your babies) Remember that a lot of times neonatologists aren't the most touchy feely doctors and are there to tell you the truth. There is a GOOD chance that what you'll learn tomorrow will freak the crap out of you, but it's probably a worse case scenario. Good luck!
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • Options

First off, Go Blue!  :)

1.  I would not worry so much about outcomes and 28 weeks v. 29 weeks, etc.  Every baby is different and every NICU experience is different.  It is hard not too, but the statistics mostly just scared DH and I and offered little comfort.  Here are some Qs (some are actually better for your MFM or OB but I'll just list out all the things I wish I had known how to ask) -  While you are on hospital bedrest, how frequently will they monitor you? will they wake you up overnight for stress tests (lobby hard against this! :))?  how frequently will you get ultrasounds?  what activities do they have for moms on bedrest? can your husband stay overnight in your room?  will you be allowed to be wheeled around the hosptial in a wheelchair? go outside? Is is a teaching hospital? who will be your primary doctor?  will residents perform procedures? Will you get steroid shots for the babies lungs? at what gestation? Will they attempt to stop labor if you have PTL? what if you pPROM?  at what weeks gestation will they no longer stop labor? What drugs will they use to stop labor?  I would also ask how they will handle delivery - perhaps you have to have a c-section due to your situation. (?)  will they induce? how will they induce?  will you have to labor in an operating room or can you labor in a regular room?  What procedures will they perform on the babies in the minutes after they are born (some NICUs routinely intubate below certain weeks gesation - others use CPAP)?  how quickly can you and DH go to the NICU?  does the NICU have primary nurses (a team of nurses assigned specifically to your babies?)  does the NICU allow twins to share an isolette/crib?  how quickly will you be shown how to pump (assuming you want to breastfeed)?  can you meet with a lactation consultant now?  what are the visiting hours at the NICU? are the rooms private? semi-private? open pods?

2. I would absolutely go on the NICU tour.  It was very scary, but it helped to have a mental picture of where we would be next.  I remember sitting in the wheelchair in the waiting area and there was a March of Dimes picture of a mom kangarooing her preemie.  I could barely bring myself to look at the picture - the baby looked so, so tiny.  And then I went in the NICU and saw all the miracles - it helped.

Good luck.

• Options

I knew I was having preemies but never went on a nicu tour. After reading all about nicu stays and the nicu experience in the twin pregnancy book, I felt comfortable with my babies' stay there. After seeing them there, and seeing all the nurses and doctors constantly monitoring them, I have not once felt worried that they were there. I know it is the best place for them to grow. If you can go on a tour and think you won't freak out, you may as well go. It's not a scary place.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would absolutley get the tour, and try to chat with some NICU nurses- these are the people who will be taking the most care of your baby, and can provide some GREAT insight. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Definitely get the tour.  My best friend had a preemie about a year before mine, so I got to see firsthand what the NICU was like, which I think really helped when DD was there. 

I see you're in Mpls!  What hospital will you go to?  I was at Southdale and my best friend was at Abbot.  Both were really good places.

• Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone!  & I sent you borc0080 a PM. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"