Preemies
Options

HELLP- due to blood clotting disorder?

Our nurse the other day also had a preemie, at 25 weeks due to HELLP.  Her sister had a baby a few days later (full term) and also had HELLP. After the sister had her baby, she developed a blood clot.  They learned they both had a genetic disease that causes blood clots, and led to both of their HELLP. 

The nurse had another baby 17 months later, but this time she was on blood thinners and had a perfectly healthy pregnancy!

I'm curious if anyone else has had/ heard of anything similar? I will be asking my doctor about it at my next appointment!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: HELLP- due to blood clotting disorder?

• Options

I don't know that it is a direct cause, but it's certainly a risk factor.

My OB did a workup after Robbie was born and found I had a very mild clotting disorder that they think contributed. I'll probably be on blood thinners if we try for #2 as well.

• Options
    I also had a full work up after Charden was born, revealing 2 clotting disorders. I was told that I would have to be on blood thinners my next pregnancy. I'm going to the MFM on Thursday to have a preconception appt and will find out more then. Have you or are you planning on having the blood panel done before your next pregnancy?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have 2 blood clotting disorders - Factor II and MTHFR 677, I got a blood clot in my arm while I was pregnant and developed pre-e that progressed quickly to HELLP. Had I not had the blood clot, I do not think they would have tested for underlying disorders. I will be on blood thinners next time.
  • Options
    I have heard of this being the underlying cause in many HELLP cases (but certainly not all). I'm seeing a MFM in a couple weeks and I'll be asking for a workup to check for clotting disorders.
  • Options
    Clotting disorders can be an underlying cause with associated with HELLP, but this isn't the case for all women who have had HELLP.  I was tested for all of the clotting disorders, but I do not have any of them.  I'm of the opinion that other (unknown) genetic causes exist, as my mother and grandmother had similar birth experiences.
  • Options

Thanks for the responses- I will definatley be getting a work up before our next baby.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"