Preemies
Options

XP: Swaddling and SIDS: new guidelines?

When DD was discharged from NICU, we were told by the nurses that new SIDS guidelines say to only swaddle up to the armpits, leaving arms free.  With a preemie, we were even more concerned about SIDS, and have been following their advice...but her sleep is pretty rough the past couple of days, and I'm ready to try a real swaddle like we did with my first daughter.  Anything to get more than a couple hours of sleep at a time.

I can't find anything about the new guidelines online....has anyone heard of the new "leaving arms out" suggestion? tia.

Re: XP: Swaddling and SIDS: new guidelines?

• Options
    the nurses at my nicu are still making regular baby burritos. arms down at the sides and wrapped. i just try to make sure it's not close to their face. im scared to death of SIDS. sometimes ds curls down into it when he's on his side.
  • Options

DD was fully swaddled in the NICU, too, but she was on monitors and any breathing problems would have been immediately noticed.  At home is different.  I just hate not knowing what to do....

With our first daughter, DH used to swaddle without folding down the top point of the blanket first, so there was all this material around her head still.  It gave me a heart attack every time, until I cured him of it.   !!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I just went and read the official AAP policy and studies, and the only thing I can find is this:

.If blankets are to be used, they should be tucked in aroundthe crib mattress so that the infant's face is less likely tobecome covered by bedding. One strategy is to make up the beddingso that the infant's feet are able to reach the foot of thecrib (feet to foot), with the blankets tucked in around thecrib mattress and reaching only to the level of the infant'schest. Another strategy is to use sleep clothing with no othercovering over the infant or infant sleep sacks that are designedto keep the infant warm without the possible hazard of headcovering.

https://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;116/5/1245

The section:

https://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;116/5/1245#SEC15

• Options
    yeah the monitors make it a little easier to relax. im worried about going home without them. i will sit there and watch him all nite til my eyes cross. you could always go with the sleep sack things. or the things that they lay in that keep them from turning. im thinking of getting one with the wedge incline thing.
  • Options

Once she's off her apnea monitor I plan on using the sleepsacks exxclusively, but until then I use the swaddle mes, since all the sleepsacks everywhere have zippers and it seems safer to me to swaddle her in a swaddle me than to have her cords up by her head.

The swaddlemes have a vent by her butt that allows the wires to run out. If the sleepsack makers were smart they'd have that vent too...

LO is a houdini and busts out of any blanket swaddle, even when the ninja nicu nurses would do it... she even gets out of the swaddlemes, and they have velcro!

• Options
    they do make sleep sacks w/ "wings" on them that our NICU said was ok to use since they velcro and couldn't get near their face. you can find them at bru
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We used the Swaddle Me's and had no problem with the material covering their faces. I also eased my mind a bit and bought the BabySense V sensors for their cribs. The senors are still on their cribs actually.
  • Options
    Our NICU used the Halo swaddlers and that's what we continued using at home.  We haven't swaddled her for about a month now since DD started STTN.  I just tried to make sure the wrap didn't get too close to her mouth.
  • Options
    imageHeather1979:

Once she's off her apnea monitor I plan on using the sleepsacks exxclusively, but until then I use the swaddle mes, since all the sleepsacks everywhere have zippers and it seems safer to me to swaddle her in a swaddle me than to have her cords up by her head.

The swaddlemes have a vent by her butt that allows the wires to run out. If the sleepsack makers were smart they'd have that vent too...

LO is a houdini and busts out of any blanket swaddle, even when the ninja nicu nurses would do it... she even gets out of the swaddlemes, and they have velcro!

all of our halo sleepsacks zip from top to bottom, so the wires can still run out the bottom. just in case you wanted to switch earlier! Smile

we used the halo swaddle sleepsack until DS was too long, then the swaddle me until he was too long, and then the miracle blanket. he loved being swaddled and he was until he was about 6 months or so. we were careful to make sure that everything was wrapped tight and that nothing was near his face.

• Options
    I wouldn't have slept a WINK in Max's first year if not for our Angelcare monitor! I can't recommend it highly enough!
  • Options
    We were told not to swaddle at all when we left the NICU for the same reason so DS has never been swaddled at home. When he was swaddled in the NICU the almost always kept his arms out.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We use a woombie for our LO. Our PT recommended it and it works wonders.

www.woombie.com

• Options
    Our NICU recommended swaddling at home.  DS went home without any monitors but we had the angelcare (love it!).  We swaddled him in the swaddleme's until 11 months actual (8 months adjusted).  We eventually swaddled him with his arms out simply because he could wiggle out anyway.  Our developmental therapist said to keep doing whatever worked to help regulate his sleep.
  • Options

imageClotho!:
    they do make sleep sacks w/ "wings" on them that our NICU said was ok to use since they velcro and couldn't get near their face. you can find them at bru

I have the sleep sacks with the wings. I think they are called sleep sack swaddle me made by Halo. When we first DD home we were not swaddling her at all and she never sleep, then we started to swaddle her in a blanket and that worked well. But she seemed to get out of it all the time. Then a friend bought us the sleep sack swaddle me's and we love them. I still kind of freak out when the wing part gets near her face, so I just adjusted it (it has velrco). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"