TTC after 35
Options

Have a few questions re: clomid. Thinking of trying it, but an internal debate is ongoing!

Ever since my OB/GYN planted the food for thought of trying clomid, it's weighed on my mind for the past month.  I decided to give progesterone suppositories a whirl instead. Obviously they didn't work.

All that I know about Clomid is mostly from these boards and a few google searches.  I asked on another board but value your opinions being 35+.  I believe the overall consensus of this board is don't try it unless it's an absolute must, right? 

Basically, I need it for a "stronger" O, whatever that means.  I'm ovulating on my own but need that extra push.  My concerns are the fact that it thins out the uterus, whereas I'm taking the progesterone to give me what I lack and to thicken the uterus.  I'm concerned about the increased risk of multiples and the lower risk of another m/c, since I've experienced one before.

What are your thoughts on this?  How were you monitored (if at all) while on it?  Did you have success on it? Lastly, what were your side effects?  I'm going to call the doctor tomorrow and pose a few questions to her, too, but would appreciate any insight that you can share.

Thanks, girls! 

Re: Have a few questions re: clomid. Thinking of trying it, but an internal debate is ongoing!

• Options

I am using clomid as part of an IUI cycle.  My OB told me that since I already ovulate, the clomid alone would not do much for me.  My RE confirmed this but said it can be helpful when used w/injectables.  So we are in the middle of a clomid + follisitm IUI.  Also, my RE said the follistim will help overcome some of the problems w/clomid - such as reducing your lining.

I would recommend seeing an RE - I know there are sometimes waiting periods associated w/referrals - but once you can get approval - I think it is helpful.

Good luck!!

• Options

I'm curious as to what others will say....sorry I have no advice.

I just saw a RE last week and she also mentioned that I could try Clomid  but in her words she said I would then "release two eggs instead of one", thereby giving me a better chance at having one fertilized (but also a greater chance of twins). (Like you, I'm also ovulating on my own) She never mentioned anything about lining issues.

I wish you luck! 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've used clomid twice with no BFP.  The first time it was prescribed by my OB and I was not monitored.  The advice I received on the boards was that: you should not take clomid if you are not being monitored by a dr.  So, that said, I made an appt with an RE.  Had my next cycle monitored and still no BFP. When I asked the RE about taking it on my own (not going back due to insurance changes in 2010) he said it would be fine.  When I asked him about the continued use of clomid can dry up CM, etc (as learned here an online) he said that was after prolonged use. 

AND there is only a 10% chance of mulitples with clomid. 

Good luck with your decision. 

• Options

I have not taken Clomid, so I can only offer what my RE told me: she doesn't "waste time" using Clomid on patients over 35.  There is a higher success rate with injectibles, so she recommended jumping right to them (which is what I am doing now).

I have heard that the chance of multiples on Clomid is small, yet I have 2 friends and know of another acquaintance who had triplets on Clomid.  Instead of getting baby #2, they got baby #2, #3 and #4.  Go figure.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

I went through three cycles with clomid. The first one I was on a lower dosage, and I had some side effects. Trouble sleeping, hot flashes, etc. But the next two, with higher dosages, were smooth sailing.

I was carefully monitored, and as a result I know that the size and number of the eggs I produced were larger. My risk, as explained to me, did increase for multiples, but because I was carefully watched my risk was for two instead of one. For us this would be fine.The RE had me come in for ultrasounds and bloodwork. On clomid it was not as often s I do now that we have moved on to injectables, so I don't really remember that part.

I would think hard about clomid with out monitoring as you do not know how you will react. Dosage and timing play a role. 

I also used the progesterone (ugh) and did not know about the clomid/lining issue. If you are tested  days after your ovulation you will know if your lining is ok, so that is an easy fix.

As you can tell, we were not sucessful on Clomid but my friends were as well as someone else I know.

Good luck. It is tough out there at first. I am amazed at what I thought I would not or could not do that now is just part of the deal.

• Options
    imagemac1221:

I went through three cycles with clomid. The first one I was on a lower dosage, and I had some side effects. Trouble sleeping, hot flashes, etc. But the next two, with higher dosages, were smooth sailing.

I was carefully monitored, and as a result I know that the size and number of the eggs I produced were larger. My risk, as explained to me, did increase for multiples, but because I was carefully watched my risk was for two instead of one. For us this would be fine.The RE had me come in for ultrasounds and bloodwork. On clomid it was not as often s I do now that we have moved on to injectables, so I don't really remember that part.

I would think hard about clomid with out monitoring as you do not know how you will react. Dosage and timing play a role. 

I also used the progesterone (ugh) and did not know about the clomid/lining issue. If you are tested  days after your ovulation you will know if your lining is ok, so that is an easy fix.

As you can tell, we were not sucessful on Clomid but my friends were as well as someone else I know.

Good luck. It is tough out there at first. I am amazed at what I thought I would not or could not do that now is just part of the deal.

This line sums it up perfectly.  I think we all have the notion and ideal that we will just get PG.  My dream is so real that I can't give it up to TTC#2.  I'm blessed, this  I know, for having my DS, but ever since I was PG and m/c, I can't begin to explain my grief.  I can't give this up and must try, you know?

Thank you for your insight, girls.  I know more about it than I did before, which is good.  I'm still on the fence and will definitely ask if they do monitoring on it, as that seems like the way to go.

As for your friend, Strunella, that would be a little daunting to get triplets out of it.  I just want the chance to develop one healthy little baby.  The idea of more than one scares me for thinking that my body might not be able to sustain a multiple pg.  I don't know if I can go through another loss emotionally.

Hugs to everyone!  I appreciate your sharing, as always. Now I just wait for the doc's office to open!

• Options
    My OB had me on Clomid for exactly the same reason. I took it for one month before I was at my RE's office (DH had a bad SA and with my problem, we went right to the RE). I am now on Femara, which doesn't stay in your bloodstream as long. I have fewer side effects on Femara (no hot flashes) and really like it. I am not sure if it has any effect on the uterine lining, but you might ask your doctor what his thoughts are on it. If you take the Clomid, I would ask to be monitored so that your lining isn't negatively impacted. Good luck with whatever route you go!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageAmy&Steve0421:

My OB told me that since I already ovulate, the clomid alone would not do much for me.? My RE confirmed this but said it can be helpful when used w/injectables.? So we are in the middle of a clomid + follisitm IUI.? Also, my RE said the follistim will help overcome some of the problems w/clomid - such as reducing your lining.

I would recommend seeing an RE - I know there are sometimes waiting periods associated w/referrals - but once you can get approval - I think it is helpful.

Good luck!!

I had the same exp. as Amy, I O'd each cycle but had short LP. ?So first IUI we did Clomid with Follistim. ?There were a couple of ultrasound appts. to check on follicles & lining thickness. ?Lining was too thin at 14 days, so we waited 2 days, checked again and it was good, so then we did trigger shot & IUI.

All the best to you!?

• Options

If you're worried about your lining, perhaps you should ask your RE about Femara?  It doesn't thin your lining like clomid.  I had to take premarin and progestrone as supplements for the clomid.

I was on clomid 12 or 15 cycles ( I just posted 12 a while back but I think it's 15) and now have a DD who just turned two years old. so worth the side effects!

After three years TTC, four IUI's plus 2 cancelled, MFI (morph, motility, count), maternal age (40 as of 5/12) & former endo, we're moving to IVF spring 2012 (good/avg AMH and FSH). We did beat the odds once, however. DD born after 2 years TTC with clomid and no monitoring at my age 35. Doctors are SHOCKED we were able to conceive. Here's hoping for another miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"