Working Moms
Options

Any nurses that work the night shift?

I've been doing it for a month now and I'm exhausted.  I also feel like I never get to see my child.  I love working nights but when a position comes available on days I might just have to take it. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Any nurses that work the night shift?

• Options
    I'm a doc and I work shifts.  Nights start in another week.  NOT looking forward to pumping and working and sleeping and coordinating daycare.
  • Options

yep... for the last year and a half.  I'm beat!  I've gained weight and am tired all the time.  I used to be a morning person... blah.  I'm awaiting an 11a-11p parttime position that should be posted soon.  I would see dc less if I worked 7-7 days... with my commute it's more like 6a-8p.  so i've worked nights .... but it's exhausting. I've heard it gets easier when the kids are in school.  but I just don't want to work nights forever. I've worked days with night and w/e 24hr call... I'd prefer the call. 

good luck

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I rotate days and nights, but I've been doing more nights since J was born.  I just feel so worn out and if it takes me a couple days to recover from one night shift.  By the time I feel good again I have to go back to work :( 

I never understood (pre-baby) that being a nurse was such a pain to take care of kids and find daycare to cover our shifts.  It sucks.  Part of me wishes I would have found a 8-4 job.

To the OP, I don't know if this would be possible in your situation but I went from 72 hour per pay period to 48 and that has made a WORLD of difference for me.  When I was working 3 12 hour shifts a week I felt so overwhelmed but 2 shifts a week more manageable. I am a much happier person now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I also work night shift 2 shifts per week, and I work every weekend. This is what has worked best for our family; I am home doing the school runs all week and preschool and house stuff, then I work when DH is home on the weekends. I would not recommend it for long term (it has been over a year for me!) but it has worked out overall for us.

The hardest part for me, other than being awake 24+ hours on Fridays most of the time, is that DH does not understand how hard it is for me to miss out on family activities....I have a huge family, and we have weddings, showers, parties, and get togethers often. I miss a lot of them. I also hate the zombie-like feeling of Sunday nights, I am always short with the kids and cranky and I cannot wait to go to bed. That part is not fun.

• Options
    imageJulieRNbride:

I also work night shift 2 shifts per week, and I work every weekend. This is what has worked best for our family; I am home doing the school runs all week and preschool and house stuff, then I work when DH is home on the weekends. I would not recommend it for long term (it has been over a year for me!) but it has worked out overall for us.

The hardest part for me, other than being awake 24+ hours on Fridays most of the time, is that DH does not understand how hard it is for me to miss out on family activities....I have a huge family, and we have weddings, showers, parties, and get togethers often. I miss a lot of them. I also hate the zombie-like feeling of Sunday nights, I am always short with the kids and cranky and I cannot wait to go to bed. That part is not fun.

right there with ya.  I'm so tired right now... worked last night, couldn't get out in time for dd to make it to preschool...  so it's a disney kind of day.  yawn.  Definitely go to parttime if you can. I cannot imagine working ft nights. no no no.  I work 2 a week and that's done me in enough. 

good luck

• Options

I'm fresh out of nursing school (graduated in dec. when I was pg) so no part time for me.  I have to have at least 6 months of experience before I can ask to go pt.  I guess I just have to suck it up and wait till then.  I also work 5 12 hour shifts one week and 2 the next.  I worked my first 3 day weekend this past weekend and it nearly killed me.  I was literally a zombie monday morning and felt sick I was so tired.

Nice to know I'm not the only one though ladies :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"