Working Moms

Dinner time working mom confession

My boys are in the routine of coming home and watching curious george on the DVR while I cook dinner and get it ready.  lately it's been bad - they are hungry and I give them snacks to eat, most of the time healthy like carrots and grapes or red pepper with dip.  But then comes dinner time when dad gets home and they aren't hungry anymore. So I've been feeding them dinner and letting them sit at their kid table in the family room to eat. Not every night, usually just the nights that dad gets home a little later, 2 times a week.  This way they at least eat their full healthy dinner and I don't have to deal with crying, whining, tantrums and meltdowns.

Does anyone else do this? I feel horrible, and know i am getting them into a bad habit of eating with the TV. Thoughts? 

Re: Dinner time working mom confession

• Um yeah, the TV is on pretty much every night during dinner.  It goes on when I get home so that I can cook in peace.  It stays on through dinner b/c they eat really well with it on.  I really try to turn it off at 7 pm, but sometimes I forget and then Dora starts and I'm screwed!
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • I started feeding DS earlier than we eat sometimes because he is hungry.  I try to freeze leftovers of things he will eat in small containers and I just pop them in the microwave while I am cooking dinner for us.  I usually have him sit with us while we eat and if he did finish his dinner he has dessert while we eat dinner.  If I give him a snack when he comes home, he just won't eat dinner.....ugh!  Yes - he also likes to watch TV when he comes home.  Sometimes he watches while he eats, but I try not to do that every night. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We've done it and make a fun little picnic out of it.  Before DS, DH and I always ate dinner in front of the TV.  It's just not something on my "big deal" list.  It's not every night but some nights it just works.

PCOS Momma
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • It's so hard to have the two different dinner times. Our t.v. is right in the kitchen and many times I'll watch the news while I'm cooking, which is when DD is snacking or eating dinner. The t.v. definitely goes off when we all sit down to eat, and DD has either more snack or dessert. I figure a little t.v. in the evening isn't terrible since she's at school all day and truly needs a little down time. Plus, she spends a good amount of that time playing around the living room/her bedroom (everything is on the same level). It seems to work, and the most important thing to DH and I is that we have that time to all sit down and "eat" as a family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • bad habit (to me) = every night.  2x a week with tv on during dinner isn't worth worrying about but like PP, this isn't one of my 'things' that I worry about too much. 
  • Last week when my H was out of town and I was exhausted, DS ate his dinner at the table with  my laptop set to Elmo videos on youtube. I don't think a little TV ever killed anyone. Whatever works, right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I feel guilty for doing something similar, but, really, what is there to feel guilty about? It is what it is. DD comes home STARVING. Often, my options are to feed her right away, or stave her off with snacks.  Last night she had a baggie with Teddy Grahams while we took our puppy for a walk, then watched a movie until dinner was ready. Everyone was happy, she ate a good meal, and the night went smoothly. You can only do so much.
    imageimage
  • I'm in the minority here in that we don't eat our own dinner until DD is in bed.  We usually have food for her that's made in advance (leftovers, steamed veggies, whatever) that we can pop in the micro easily.  Then one of us cooks our dinner while the other does bath and bedtime.  I can't make a full dinner without putting DD in front of the TV either, so that's how we avoid it.  But we also do it this way because DH and I are used to working late and eating late.

At the same time, I certainly don't think you should feel horrible about it.  It doesn't sound like that big a deal to me at all.  If you feel bad about them eating with the TV on can they eat their meals at the kitchen table even if it's early?

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oooh dont feel bad. My son watches his Barney, which might i add is fantastic because he is starting to talk in sentences already thanks to that dinosaur, lol, and he watches it while I cook dinner and wash the dishes. As long as you spend time with them after dinner thats all that really matters.
  • DD is small for her age and sometimes I have to put the TV on to get her to eat.  So she eats in front of the TV sometimes, and I'm fine with that.  DH and I eat dinner in front of the TV every night.  We've said once we get unpacked and clear off the kitchen table we'll eat in there without the TV, since we just moved into a new house.

DD is hungry as soon as she gets home from daycare so I usually give her some snacks and end up making her dinner before DH gets home.  Her highchair is in the kitchen so she eats in the kitchen while I make our dinner.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Same here. WHen my son gets home from school he is STARVING!! I try to give him little snacks but find that he wont finish his dinner! So I try to either bring home take out some nights and that way we can eat right away, or give him fruit until dinner is done.

I am also guilty of the TV!! My son goes ballistic if I want to turn off his TV and Im sorry that I ever let him watch it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"