Adoption
Options

Adopting for $15k?

We have started networking with the goal of an independent adoption, which in our state is typically much less expensive than an agency adoption.  We could easily get an in state independent adoption finalized for under $15k, but of course the challenge is finding a birth mother (especially since the laws in our state do not allow us to advertise).

We do not want to explore adopting from foster care at this time as we are only interested in newborns.  Also, there are some conflict of interest issues as I do a lot of work with child deprivation cases.

Although we want a newborn, we would be interested in adopting a biracial child. 

Can anyone recommend any agencies that might work with our small budget?  If it's not possible, we'll keep plugging away with the networking and give it maybe a year before moving to the agency route.

Re: Adopting for $15k?

• Options

imageGulfCoaster:
    YGPM.

I'd actually be interested in the same thing...so if you're willing to share, I'd love to hear your insight!

Thanks!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gulf Coaster -I'd love to hear your suggestion too, if you don't mind!  We're working with an agency that doesn't have any up-front costs, so if we could find a birthmother and do an independent adoption before they're able to match us that would be wonderful! 
  • Options
    As a BM, when I was looking for an agency in GA, I looked at Catholic Charities and Bethany Christian Services. I ended up going with BCS. I am not sure the costs associated with adoptive families for either. I know BCS does ask the family to offer to help pay for some costs the BM may incur, but I don't know if there is a limit. K's adoptive family only paid about $750 of my expenses and I don't know what they paid to the agency.
  • Options
    Hi! I'm also in Georgia. We are using Bethany Christian Services. They have a fee schedule based on your income. It can be as low as $12,000 ( plus legal fees & any birthparent expenses which typically they say averages $3,000 total for both) to $20,000 ( plus those same fees). We also looked into Covenant Christian Services out of Macon. I believe they also have an office in Athens. They are VERY strict on their requirements but they are cheaper even than Bethany. Good Luck to all of you! If you have any additional questions about Bethany, please let me know! I tried to send this as a PM but it would not let me for some reason this morning.   
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

our state doesnt allow advertising either and our attorney facilitated one match and the other was out of state networking through family/friends.  Our two adoptions combined will come out to just over $16k including travel expenses for the out of state.  one is significantly less than the other due to no birthmother expenses.  Our wait from start to first match was 9-10 months and the second came 6 weeks or so later.

pm me w/ any questions

• Options

Our state allows networking but we haven't used it to our advantage just yet. We looked up adoption attorneys and found one we liked. We found that they are in constant contact with potential birthmothers and they allowed us to send them a few portfolios (which they don't charge for) so they can show us around.

We chose not to pay for living or medical expenses (just our personal thing). We are looking to only pay for legal expenses.

Then, MrsB put me into contact with another attorney who we are about to work with. We will have a profile online (very small fee) and we are sending the attorney 4 handmade portfolios for people to look at. The attorney told me her only concern is the pregnant ladies who come to her usually want local couples so they can "get help them with their problems". She also went on to say "Often they want the adoptive couple to not only help them financially by paying money that has been "court approved" for their living expenses, but also to physically drive them to their doctor appointments or perhaps babysit their existing children while they are in the final stages of their pregnancy and are needing some relaxation time." 

She is very sweet and definetly wants us to send her some profiles, she just wanted us to know her typical client base.

GL My suggestion is to find a lawyer (even if in another state) who works with potential bm's and will show a profile for you!

• Options
    Jessie*J - will you PM me the lawyer info?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"