Working Moms
Options

s/o What is your coming home routine?

Since so many of us find this time of day to be crazy-- just wondering if there are any helpful time savers out there!

Re: s/o What is your coming home routine?

• Options

DS goes to bed at 7, so I don't do anything I don't HAVE to do until after he's in bed. I don't clean or work or anything from 5-7. Sometimes we even wait to eat dinner until after he's in bed.

I do usually get home a little before DH and DS, so I do what I can in that time.

I'm also all about the crockpot and making meals ahead of time whenever possible.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

5 'ish - leave work

5:15 'ish - get home and hang out with kids a bit, get changed, clean up a bit

5:45 'ish - get dinner started

6:30 - eat dinner

7 - hang out some more & clean up from dinner

7:30 - baths & other parent finishes cleaning up

8 pm - #1 goes to bed and #2 watches some Elmo to "unwind" (she naps, so she's up later), I prep for the next day and/or work out

9 pm - #2 goes to bed and I relax

10 pm - I go to bed.

We just keep it real simple in the evenings.  Heaven help me when we have to do homework at night!

DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

General routine

Get home 5:45
    Feed dinner 6:15
    Play/read until 7
    Bath 7:15
    Play/read until 8
    Lights out at 8

When I pick up the kids I dont worry about all the bags and stuff.  I just make sure I take my cell phone inside with me.  I get the bags and anything else I need from the car once the kids are in bed.

I like to cook enough that will last me a few nights so I am not cooking every day after work.  I will give DD a small snack and have them watch me while I do anything.  If I do have to wash dishes I bring DS in the high chair near the sink and DD is pretty good about sitting on the counter and just talking to me.

I have gotten pretty good at bathing my kids at the same time (DS in the small tub inside the big tub. And DD in the big tub).  I take DS out and dry him and put his diaper and PJs on and put him in the bouncy.  Then I take DD out.  I read her a book or let her play in her room and nurse DS at the same time.  I dont worry about the mess or cleaning up until they are both in bed. 

• Options

I leave work around 4pm, pick up the girls at 4:20pm and home by 4:30pm. Get in comfy clothes and play with the girls until 5pm. Then I start dinner. Since I bake everything. I feed the girls while I wait for the food to cook. 6pm DH and I eat while the girls play. 6:30-6:45pm bathe the girls, give them their night bottle and they go to sleep between 7pm and 7:30pm. Then it is dishes time. I clean, do a load of laundry and watch a show before bed time around 9 - 10pm.

• Options

I get home at around 5:45 and get changed.  I chat with DH and play with DS and then we eat dinner at around 6:15/6:30.  Right after dinner either DH or I will give DS a bath while the other cleans up the kitchen.  I always put DS in his pajamas, brush his teeth and brush his hair after his bath.  Then we play and he has a bottle while we read.  He usually goes to bed between 8-8:30 depending on how he napped during the day. It's usually a pretty low stress time of day for me. 

• Options

Dh and I take turns getting ds from daycare but my routine is the same regardless of whether or not I pick him up.  I leave the office at 5:00 and when I get home, I make sure ds is content first and then I wash all the bottles and pump parts that need to be washed.  I also tend to some laundry (whether it be washing or folding... there's always something laundry-related to be done).  I try to pump as close to 6:00 as possible but it varies depending on when we eat and if ds needs to be fed, changed, entertained, etc.  I always have to wash bottles and pump parts again later on when I have time.  When we're all finished eating and I'm done pumping and washing then I prepare ds' bottles for daycare the next day and put them in the fridge. 

It really doesn't look like I have a ton to do but taking care of ds in between all of the "must-dos" takes up a lot of time, haha!  Then, I take a shower around 9:00 (or try to... sometimes it ends up being around the time when I should be getting to bed) and I take a bath with ds every other night during the week after my shower.  I try to get us to bed at about 10:00, which usually works out okay... and I bring bottles of water to bed and pre-measured formula with me to bed in case he wakes up in the night.

My best friend, my husband, my everything
    Matthew Kevin
    7/31/83-7/20/11 image
    Met 1/8/00
    Engaged 4/21/06
    Married 9/29/07
    Two beautiful legacies: Noah Matthew (2 yrs) and Chloe Marcella (8 mos)
    Day Three
  • Options

I get out of work at 4:30 and pick up the girls - we are home at 5:10 PM...then I have about 10 minutes of playtime with whoever is still awake (usually one of them dozes in the car) and then it's time for bottles...DH usually gets home at 5:30 in time to help feed the two of them at the table...if it's bath time we start at 5:45 pm, finishing up by 6:15 pm..then upstairs for a story and bed by 6:30pm...

I don't do anything that is not baby related until they are in bed...then it is time for dinner for dh & I (last night was half a bag of cheetos and steamed broccoli...I must get better at meal planning), a quick pick-up...dishes/bottles...maybe a load of laundry and by then it is 8pm..time for a shower, maybe some tv and my bed...oh how I love the weekend...

• Options

I'll answer too...

5:15 leave work to pick up DD

5:45 arrive home, take in milk (leave everything else in car!), get mail, let dog out, play with DD

6:00 DH comes home and I get stuff out of the car while he is greeting then one of us plays with dog and DD while the other makes dinner

6:30 we eat together w/ DD in the highchair.  If she's done before us, we usually let her crawl around until we finish

7:00 I do dishes while DH and DD play, I join too when I'm done

7:30 I get DD and start getting her ready for bed, nurse, night night

8:30-10:00 do rest of dishes, make bottles for next day, watch tv, have tea, etc.

10:00 bedtime for mommy!

• Options
    My DH is usually cooking dinner when I get home.  DS is usually in the highchair and DD is playing or watching a TV show.  It is actually not bad for me, because I get so much help from DH.
  • Options

I get home around 5 and wash up bottles and pump parts, make bottles for next day and start dinner.

DH gets home with the girls anywhere from 5:15-5:30. We play a bit, I nurse DD2, then we eat dinner (DD2 in bouncy seat with us). More playing, then bath every other night around 7. DD1 is in bed between 7:30 and 8. I hold DD2 while I watch some TV. I take her up to bed with me around 9-10 (she is in our room in a bassinet).

It is all good unless DH goes out, then it can be stressful.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I'm lucky because DH and I commute together with DS, so we both get off work around 4:15.  He gets the car and picks us up, while I get DS out of daycare.  We get home around 5. 

I usually get dinner together.  I try to do either crockpot, make enough to have leftovers the second night, or something quick and easy.  DS either plays with DH, whines until I pick him up, or sometimes is satisfied with either playing in the cabinets or in the kitchen near me with a bowl and spoon that I give him.

We eat between 5:30 and 6, play until 7, then DH gives DS a bath, we both help get his pjs on, and then I read books to him and lay him down.

My only tips are to make dinner as quick and easy as it can be.  I'm loving those steamable vegetables--they taste pretty good and they're a lot easier for me than making fresh veggies, especially toward the end of the week.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I get home with DS between 5 and 6 and he is in bed by 7-7:30 so it really bums me out if I am rushing around during that time making dinner, etc..  So what has really helped me in the past few months is to make most of the dinner the night before.  I will assemble a casserole and just have to bake it the next night.  Or do most of the prep work and then just have actually cook it.  And I try to make enough for 2-3 nights.

This approach does wear me out because I have a ton to do after he goes to bed but I love being able to play and chill with him in that couple of hours before bed.

• Options
    My huge time saver is to have as much of the dinner prep done the night before so I'm not stressed about when we get home.  DH gets home at around 4:45 or 5 and I pick up the girls and get home at around the same time.  Dh typically gets dinner going while I try and keep the girls busy or they play on their own while I help DH.  We try to eat at around 5:30.  We play after dinner.  If its a bath night, we start that at around 6.  We aim to be getting into PJs by 6:30.  We read books, the girls have milk if they want and then we brush teeth and my little one goes to sleep by 7.  We then read another book or 2 to my older DD, she goes potty and she goes to bed between 7 and 7:30.  DH and I then do all our prep for the next day - dinner, making our breakfast/lunch for work and getting bags ready for all of us.  We then either spend some time together watching TV, movies, playing games or just talking or have some alone time - we aim to get a good mix of both.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"