Christmas Advice Needed (Long) — The Bump
Stay at Home Moms

Christmas Advice Needed (Long)

This year I am going to be baking for our loved ones and DH came up with the idea of doing gift baskets that contain breakfast baked goods that can be enjoyed Christmas morning.

This idea sprouted from the fact that I have a recipe for banana bread that is very good.

Any other ideas for what to put into a baked goods breakfast basket?  I am trying to keep my costs reasonable but we will only be making this gift basket for probably less than five people so we can do a bit of splurging... I am looking to spend probably less than $75 or $100 for all of them.

My other question regarding Christmas.  I have worked for my father/stepmother for several years and about six months ago, we had a long-coming falling out.

Although my father and I have a cordial (hug when I see him, say "I love you" still) relationship, we do not talk outside of work.  This comes from the fact that his wife is, well, the devil.  Ha-ha.  Anyway, my question is... should I give him a baked good basket?

I would do this for my boss, so I think that I should for him but I guess I'm not sure how to address the card as it would obvious if I make it out only to him, excluding his wife... but if I write "Merry Christmas" to both of them, it's a little hypocritical because she and I have open hostility.

I know this is a long question, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Christmas Advice Needed (Long)

• For the baskets - Scones, coffee (small ground packet), tea bags, small jellies, homemade hot cocoa, maple syrup, small package of pancake mix...

Definately give on to your Dad. As much as you don't like her, he still deserves to be remembered. Don't address the card to anyone, that way you don't exclude her but don't really include her either. GL!

• image gina123345:

Definately give on to your Dad. As much as you don't like her, he still deserves to be remembered. Don't address the card to anyone, that way you don't exclude her but don't really include her either. GL!

ITA with this. Just write, "Merry Christmas!" on the tag or something, without putting anyone's name.

Here is the best ever recipe for pumpkin bread I have come across. I didn't put raisins in mine (I do not eat humiliated grapes Stick out tongue), but did everything else as directed. It makes 7-8 mini loaves of bread. 

Here is a recipe for Chai tea mix. If you follow the recipe, you get 4 pint sized jars. I doubled it and got 4 1/2 quart jars (maybe someone can get a small pint instead of a quart and you can call it good?). It is awesome (I love it enough that I am considering making something else for my Christmas baskets, and keeping all of the jars for me!)

And here is a Mocha mix and a Hot Cocoa mix in a jar.  

Man, I am an allrecipes.com junkie, because each of these came from there, lol. Hope these help. I figured tea is a morning drink, and who doesn't like a mocha or hot chocolate Christmas morning?

• Hot chocolate mix or tea, marshmallows (ooh or peppermint marshmallows) , a mug, a card with the recipe for the bread on it (if you want to share it!).

I would give one to your dad. Just don't write anything on it.

imageimage Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image gina123345:

Agreed.

• image NerdBride_D&D:
    image gina123345:

ITA with this. Just write, "Merry Christmas!" on the tag or something, without putting anyone's name.

Here is the best ever recipe for pumpkin bread I have come across. I didn't put raisins in mine (I do not eat humiliated grapes Stick out tongue), but did everything else as directed. It makes 7-8 mini loaves of bread. 

Here is a recipe for Chai tea mix. If you follow the recipe, you get 4 pint sized jars. I doubled it and got 4 1/2 quart jars (maybe someone can get a small pint instead of a quart and you can call it good?). It is awesome (I love it enough that I am considering making something else for my Christmas baskets, and keeping all of the jars for me!)

And here is a Mocha mix and a Hot Cocoa mix in a jar.  

Man, I am an allrecipes.com junkie, because each of these came from there, lol. Hope these help. I figured tea is a morning drink, and who doesn't like a mocha or hot chocolate Christmas morning?

Awesome, awesome, awesome!  I know some of the recipients will ADORE those recipes... thanks!

• Thanks everybody!  I agree that a simple "Merry Christmas!" will be perfect and as drama-free as possible.

Thanks again!

• for the basket-specialty butter, coffee, cocoa, maybe a mug or two (depending on how many people are going to get it),  a holiday plate to put them on or some holiday napkins.   i like the pancake mix or other type of mix.  sounds fun.

yes i would give your father one-as a boss and your father.   if you put merry christmas-no need to put names.  they can assume or not that you are including them both etc.   Christmas is one time of year to at least patch a hole in the fence-if at least temporarily!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards