3rd Trimester
Options

Is anyone familiar with the WIC program?

When you had the baby, when did you take them in for their first appointment? The lady I talked to sounded like a complete moron and said they don't see the baby until after they are 1 month old.. But if you need formula for them, I don't see how that is correct?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Is anyone familiar with the WIC program?

• Options
    They told me to call and go in when I get out of the hospital after LO is born to be set up on formula (if I were formula feeding), and the BF foods that they give you if you're an EBF.
  • Options
    its supposed to be right after the baby is born... i have my first next week at 3 weeks (would have been this week but they let me come in next week bc i have so many doctors appt this week)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i was told to make an appointment as soon as I have the baby.  this is very important depending on how much longer after your due date ur checks last...but in my case i am going to just register her and let them know i will be exclusively breastfeeding....you also get the fullest food package this way however if that changes they will change the plan to include formula which i am sure you already know.
  • Options

Thank you ladies! I knew that didn't seem right.. I will just call and make an appt when I come home from the hospital.

The girl I was talking to was a real gem, she got so confused when I told her my baby is due Dec. 26th.. She was like, "Our records don't show you have a child."

• Options
    They gave me a paper at my last appt. to have the hospital fill out when I have the baby.  Then I am to mail it in to them & they will mail me out my appointment day & time.  They told me it usually takes up to 2 weeks or longer to get in after having the baby.  The hospitals use to send you home with some formula to get you through a few days, but it's been 9 years since my last child so that may have changed.  When I was on WIC years ago I still ended up having to buy formula to get me through to the next month's voucher, as well as in the beginning too before my first appointment.  So just as a FYI, be prepared to have to purchase some formula.
  • Options
    I had to pick up vouchers today, and here is what the lady told me. She said that when I'm in the hospital to call and tell them I have had the baby, and fill out a piece of paperwork she gave me today. Then she told me to send one my proxy's with my folder and the paperwork to get formula vouchers before we come home. This way we don't have to go without formula. She also said when I call they will schedule an appointment for me and the baby. 
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageMrs.AMRichards:
    I had to pick up vouchers today, and here is what the lady told me. She said that when I'm in the hospital to call and tell them I have had the baby, and fill out a piece of paperwork she gave me today. Then she told me to send one my proxy's with my folder and the paperwork to get formula vouchers before we come home. This way we don't have to go without formula. She also said when I call they will schedule an appointment for me and the baby. 

Wow, your office sounds like they are on top of the game! The way I see it, I will probably end up buying a few cans of formula before I get the vouchers.

• Options
    Are you on WIC now. You can make an appointment and apply for  and recieve WIC while pregnant. My monthly appointment is going to be on the 11th, if I haven't had the baby, they will schedule her certification in January. That's how it worked in FL and how it's working so far in NE. It may be different where you live.
  • Options

You'll get the vouchers the same day you go in for the appt. They print them off right in front of you.

Anyway you will want to make an appt. as soon as LO is born. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    She sounds like a moron...that makes no sense! I would go in and talk to someone else.
  • Options
    Some hospitals have a WIC office located in their hospital and the representative will come to your room and give you coupons while in the hospital.  You may want to check with your local hospital.  Also many hospitals have a social worker who you could call and talk to to see if there are any other resources you may be eligible for.
  • Options

imagesammiangel11:
    Are you on WIC now. You can make an appointment and apply for  and recieve WIC while pregnant. My monthly appointment is going to be on the 11th, if I haven't had the baby, they will schedule her certification in January. That's how it worked in FL and how it's working so far in NE. It may be different where you live.

This is how it works in Idaho as well.  My next appt is about 2 weeks after my EDD but since I am being induced (been here since last night) I will have to call them and let them know.

• Options

They told me to call or have someone call for me (DH or my sister, both are on my account and can speak on my behalf) ASAP after I have the baby. It can take a while to get an appointment but you won't recieve formula until after your child is added.

I'm not overly worried about it, I'm only planning to supplement with formula, but I know how stressful it would be if you are planning to FF and need to recieve WIC benefits! Formula is expensive!!

ETA: We already recieve WIC benefits, so maybe that's why it seems easier for me. I'm not sure how that works depending on your state if you plan on applying after LO is born.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"