Special Needs
Options

Gift ideas for an Autistic Nephew

Hi ladies,

I was hoping you'd have some suggestions for something that I can give my nephew.  He's 8 years old, and as you can tell from the title, autistic.  He also lives in India, so he doesn't have alot of resources at his disposal. 

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. 

Re: Gift ideas for an Autistic Nephew

• Options

It probably depends on his functioning level. I would ask his parents what kinds of things he likes to do. My ds is pretty high functioning, so most toys we buy are typical for any kid his age, maybe just a tad on the younger side.

We are trying to avoid getting our son too much of the Thomas and Cars stuff, as we want him to be more well rounded with his choice of play. He was obsessed with them for a while. Since we have done that, his obsession has diminished some.

Anything that encourages learning/talking is great, as long as it is at his developmental level or just a bit higher to push him a bit. You can shop online and sort toys by ages too, and of course, you would want to sort by the age he is at developmentally, not his physical age. I hope that helps some? 

• Options
    image-auntie-:

If you've met one kid on spectrum, you've met one kid on spectrum.

This is unrelated to the gift issue, but I find myself repeating the above phrase so often anymore.  It's so true.  And people who don't know a child, I mean really know, a child on the spectrum just don't get it.  People like to pretend they can understand, and they just can't.  Then again, it's like that with a lot of things I guess.  My pap has Alzheimers & I find it's very true with that disease as well.

Anyway, about the gift.  My DS LOVES his Nintendo DS & anything he can create art with (paper, crayons, scissors, glue, etc.).  That would, of course, depend on the specific child, but those are things my DS enjoys.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My son is the same age and in the asperger's (high functioning) spectrum of autism. Connor loves blocks, legos, playdoh, bionicle, k'nex, etc. Anything that he can use to build something.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"