Upstate NY Babies

Self feeding toddlers

Is there some style or feature I should like for in baby spoons to encourage self feeding?  When did you introduce a utensil?

We definitely aren't there yet but I thought it might be a good stocking stuffer this year. 

Re: Self feeding toddlers

• Also, your thoughts on this product https://www.inchbug.com/ds-135.html  waste of $7? 
  • We are still having a lot of trouble with self-feeding.  He will hold a spoon or fork in one hand and use the other to feed himself with his fingers.  :)  We're getting there...  As far as spoons, we found deep ones (I think by Gerber) that he has the most luck with.  The plate thing does look like a waste to me.  But, then again, we don't use plates right now because he just throws them off the high chair. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I was just reading future milestones online and saw that 18mths was "begins to eat with utensils" and I thought whoa crap that's soon. I can't wait to see what others post

*I think thats a neat product! I might grab that if I ever see it on sale.

imageimageLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I wish I could remember when we started this with Justin.  I would say we introduced a spoon at least 3 months ago (if not longer), but they really just kind of hold them at first.  He will be 18 months old next week and does really well now with the spoon and fork.  The fork is a little harder but I help him with that.  He can even feed himself cereal (with milk) in a bowl.  That's not to say that things don't get messy, but he still does well.  Now he hates when we try to feed him.  He wants to do everything himself!!
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Oh, and I think that product could work well.  We have some sectioned plates that already have the rim, but for our other plates that would be a good idea!
    Lilypie Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Rosie is great with spoons, and not as great with a fork. She will use the fork for a while, and then gives up and uses her fingers.I don't think there's anything special you need in a spoon, we use the little Gerber ones just fine. And that product is neat! Rosie just eats off the same dinner plates that we use. I wouldn't consider it necessary at all, just something cool to try.
  • I don't know about that product, probably depends on the kids.  As for when to introduce utensils, I gave Ty a spoon when eating pretty much from day 1.  He started using the spoon at least by a year, I mean he was by far a pro or anything but he could manage to eat yogurt with it.  I know he was using a spoon pretty well by 14 months only because I remember having a comversation with someone at a playdate about him eating sticky applesauce with it.  OH Yeah, make the food sticky!  I forgot all about this, I used to add baby cereal to certain foods to make them thick and stickier so he could eat them with a spoon better!!

note- he is two and a half and still reverts back to his hands when he is having a hard time.  I need to break him of this now I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"