Trying to Get Pregnant

Question about SA

How long into TTC would you have DH get checked?  Is it something insurance typically covers?  If not is it expensive?  Just curious about the world of SA.
image Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers TTC 09/09 BFP 12/03/09 1st m/c 1/8/10 @ 9w5d, baby measured 6w1d Clomid 50mg Nov 11=BFN (not monitored) Clomid 50mg Dec 11=BFN (not monitored) Clomid 50mg Jan 11=? (day 12 sono)

Re: Question about SA

• Most insurance doesn't pay for it. We paid $90 for DH's, which was done 9.5 months into TTC. My OB ordered the test.

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• Do you have any reason to suspect there might be a problem?  We didn't do any testing for either of us until about 2 years in, but 1 year is the 'norm'.  Prices vary but seem to fall within the $100-300 range for the most common SA.  It is covered my many insurance plans, but not all.  Your best bet is just to call your insurance company and ask.  Make sure to record the name of the person you spoke with, log the date and time of the call, and ask if there is some sort of number they assigned to the call for their records.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would wait till a year in if you are under 35.  As for insurance, it depends on your coverage.  It's not expensive though.  I think ours were around $200.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We were 17 months in before we had one.

Being that it's less invasive as some of the other tests, it won't hurt to have one at less than a year TTC.

I'm not sure about all insurance. Ours was covered, but we have IF coverage.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did the 1st SA after 1 year of TTC.  I called 10 months in because we wanted to get the ball rolling and were willing to pay for it ourselves, but my OBGYN thought we should wait a year (damn her) so wait we did.  The bill for the 1st SA came to $162, but I don't know yet how much insurance is going to pay.  DH's count was really low so he went to a urologist who ordered bloodwork and a 2nd SA... still waiting for the results on that. 
    TTC #1 since October 2008. Dealing with MFI.
    IVF #1 w ICSI in July 2010 = BFN
    IVF #2.1 in Oct 2010 converted to IUI = BFN
    IVF #2.2 w ICSI in Dec 2010 = BFN
    Met with new RE in new city on 1/31/11.
    IVF #3 w ICSI in April 2011. HPT on 5/9 = BFP!
    Beta #1 on 5/10 (10dp5dt) = 99.4. Beta #2 on 5/12 = 284. First u/s on 5/26. = Fraternal TWINS!
    Twin boys born & lost on 8/16/11 at 18w1d due to PPROM & preterm labor.
    IVF #4.1 in Jan 2012 converted to IUI on 1/7/12 = BFN
    IVF #4.2 w ICSI in Feb 2012. Lupron on 2/10. Stims on 2/18. ER on 2/29- 7R,6F
    ET scheduled for 3/5/12- nothing to transfer :(
    Dh seeing new MFI uro & Dh starting meds- June 2012.
    IVF #5 in Dec 2012 = BFFN.
    IVF #6 planned for Spring 2013. Praying for our take home baby/ies.
    **P/SAIF and P/SAL always welcome!**

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My OB ordered one at 9 months TTC, but we haven't gotten it yet.  Want to wait until the new year.  Our insurance doesn't cover IF, so it is going to cost $180-200.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"