Babies: 0 - 3 Months

When to pump?

***Repost from breastfeeding board***

So I have finally been able to BF my daughter.  She has a partial vocal cord paralysis and had a feeding tube for a while and was taking only part of her meals in a bottle.  After many tries, she has been successfully BFing for a day now. Before I was just pumping.  My question now is at what point should I pump to start a freezer supply.  My milk was on the low side when I was just pumping and had to supplement.  I pumped twice today after BFing DD and got 2oz total.  I don't want to deplete my milk supply now while DD is working hard to get my milk to come in more.  So I've decided for now not to pump.  At what point/time frame do you think it would be good to start pumping again to get my back up supply going?  And, how much time after you are done BFing do you pump?

Thanks so much for your input. 

Re: When to pump?

• If it were me I'd pump as soon as she was done to finish draining the breast and to signal to your body to make more milk. If you wait too long after she finishes it might cut into your next letdown, if that makes sense.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imagenjeosys:
    If it were me I'd pump as soon as she was done to finish draining the breast and to signal to your body to make more milk. If you wait too long after she finishes it might cut into your next letdown, if that makes sense.

this.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Pumping wont deplete your supply it will increase it. The best thing to do is always pump after she eats and always offer her both breasts FIRST. That way you will signal your breasts to make more milk and it wont take long for your supply to increase. Also, if she is giving a bottle for a meal then you would have to pump so your supply doesnt go down from thinking your lo doesnt need that meal. :) Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all so much.  ***runs to go pump right now as DD finished BF 20 minutes ago***

Also, I only plan on offering her a bottle after we are done BF if she is showing signs of still being hungry.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"