Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Disturbing topic - you've been warned.

So I had the news on tonight, and I heard that twelve year old Jahmeshia Conner, who was reported missing two weeks ago, was found in a South side alley way, badly beaten and dead.

She left her aunt's house at 8PM and took a CTA bus. By herself.

Who in their right mind allows this? WHO? Who allows their daughter, who is in FIFTH grade, to ride a bus alone at night to a bad area of the city?

I am just horrified. I do not go out alone at night ever, and we definitely do not live on the South side. It's relatively safe here, but I am still overly cautious. 

I just cannot fathom letting my young daughter out alone at night. It's mind boggling.

I feel awful for the family and for the girl, who will never get a chance to grow up. But I'm still so confused and horrified.  

Re: Disturbing topic - you've been warned.

• Options
    that is sad. but i don't think there's a choice for some people.
    aidan kincaid (12.19.06) sawyer grace (7.30.08) 
    reese madeline (5.11.10) miller paige (2.6.12)
    girl #5 due december 2013.

13 galveston1

IG: punkfictionv4

• Options

imagepunkfiction_v.3:

Sigh. I know. I know that I know this, and still, I just can't imagine it. I hyperventilate at the thought of stepping out at night because I have huge anxiety issues. I just don't know how parents do it.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I know...sometimes I feel like I can't turn on the news or use the internet.  I was looking for something about Africa today, and totally by accident came across a news photograph of an emaciated child in Africa crawling towards a United Nations food center, while a vulture stood behind him, waiting for him to die.  I was so so disturbed, I don't think I will be able to sleep for a week.  It made me want to sell all my belongings and then take the money and give to children in need. 

It also made me want to smack my 7 year old niece who threw a temper tantrum last week when she didn't the color balloon that she wanted at Friendly's.

imageLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    That is very sad, but is it possible that no one knew what she was doing? I did plenty of crazy things at age 12, including taking public transportation without my parents' knowledge.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DH has a lot of 6th graders that are basically the care givers for their younger siblings after school until their parents get home from work.  It is really sad.
  • Options

imageanna7602:
    That is very sad, but is it possible that no one knew what she was doing? I did plenty of crazy things at age 12, including taking public transportation without my parents' knowledge.

See, this is why I think I have a hard time comprehending. When I was twelve, I lived in an extremely rural area. There was no sneaking out or anything of the sort. You could get attacked by some crazy animal.

She was leaving her aunt's house to go home, so her aunt knew what she was doing. The mom didn't know, to be fair.  

• Options

I missed it on the news. I saw the "breaking news" this morning on Fox about a body found in naperville at the H.S.

I don't know, I don't get it. Sometimes I think parents just don't care. It seems to be a standing problem here in the city w/ the violence.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    That poor girl.  I lived on the South Side of Chicago for a while and I didn't enjoy taking public transportation at night and I was 20. But sadly, as others said, some don't have a choice. And also sadly, some parents just don't care/pay attention.  My Little Sister (Big Brothers Big Sisters) was allowed to go to gas station by herself to get candy when she was in 3rd or 4th grade.  She didn't live in a bad area, but it infuriated me when I found out. She's 15 now and is still allowed to do stupid stuff, her mom just isn't there for her.
  • Options
    That is so awful and sad.  But, a lot of young kids ride the bus alone in Pittsburgh too.  The schools don't offer bus service so they have to use public transit.  And if they have after school activities and whatnot I don't think it is unreasonable for a kid to be on a bus after 8pm.  If it was 1am or something, then yeah, I blame the parent or guardian.  But 8pm?  Some people don't have any choice.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I mean, it makes sense if you consider after school activities and how long it can take to get from one area to another, but still. I don't think I'll ever be able to let my twelve year old out on a bus at night alone. 
  • Options

Oh God :(  I had no idea :(

I have to say in today's day and age, on the south side nonetheless, I'd never in a million years let my child ride public transportation like that.  I look back at my childhood and my mom sent me, at 12, downtown to work with my dad.  I took the train and when I got there, I used a map my mom scrawled on an index card to get there.  Now this was nearly 20 years ago, and we live in the NW suburbs, but looking back on it, I cringe, and frankly, so do my parents!

What a tragic loss :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options

imagekelbrian:
    I mean, it makes sense if you consider after school activities and how long it can take to get from one area to another, but still. I don't think I'll ever be able to let my twelve year old out on a bus at night alone. 

Just be thankful you have that choice.  Like pp said, some people have to rely on public transportation and maybe not the best pick of babysitters afterschool. Maybe the aunt had no idea what the girl was doing or even that it was a bad idea.

• Options
    I lived on the south side when I was a kid and took the bus when I was 12. Granted things have changed since then, and we didn't live in such a rough area - but I did do this when I was young, and on the "scaarrrrry" south side of Chicago.
    74 books read in 2011
  • Options

imagekatarczyna:
    I lived on the south side when I was a kid and took the bus when I was 12. Granted things have changed since then, and we didn't live in such a rough area - but I did do this when I was young, and on the "scaarrrrry" south side of Chicago.

Things have definitely changed. They showed this girl's neighborhood - it is not a nice area.  

• Options

imagepunkfiction_v.3:

This.

My Mom had to ride the city bus in a bad section of town every night with her 2 younger siblings at the age of 7 to get from my great grandmother's house back to her own house because my grandmother left her abusive (every which way abusive husband) and was single mom trying to keep a roof over her kids head, with no support from her family, ex-husband or friends.  

It's just not a "choice"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepunkfiction_v.3:

This confuses me a bit. Wouldn't she have been better off staying at the aunt's house alone until someone could get her? The L is terrifying at night IMHO.

• Options
    imageCrystalDaun:

I missed it on the news. I saw the "breaking news" this morning on Fox about a body found in naperville at the H.S.

I don't know, I don't get it. Sometimes I think parents just don't care. It seems to be a standing problem here in the city w/ the violence.

They found her in Naperville?? North or Central?

• Options

That's just awful.  I had a hard time letting my 16 year old take the bus into downtown Philly over the summer with her friend, in broad daylight.  I can't imagine letting a 5th grader go out at night and take public transportation, alone.  That poor little girl. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"