Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Newborn Sweating or Peeing through clothes while asleep?

I'm staying at my mom's and we have James in a little bassinet.

Since we brought him home last week he has been wet almost every time we pick him up from the bassinet. 

It's usually around his back or side.

His onesie and whatever pajama and his lightweight blanket are wet.  We can't just change his diaper, we have to change his clothes as well.

I kept thinking it was pee but tonight when we took him to change him, his little indicator strip was still yellow (not blue).  He made a poo but there was no excessive pee.

We are using NB Swaddlers from Pampers - He's only about 6.5 lbs right now so they have to fit.

Anyone know what it could be?

God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
"Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Newborn Sweating or Peeing through clothes while asleep?

• well the only other thing I could think of is that he's sweaty? But make sure you point his penis downward when you put the diaper on because they'll spray up out of the diaper if you don't. GL!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • Maybe sweat? DD pees alot but pampers keep it in pretty well. It only has leaked once.
  • Loading the player...
  • You've got it right- sounds like it could be either of those. Jake was 7lbs and had the same thing going on. he still is in the swaddlers cause they fit his little body best. He's 10lbs now and it doesn't happen as often. He still gets the back sweat though. Its more of a dampness than a puddle up the leg.
  • Are you making sure you point his penis down? That thought just came to mind, could make it so the indicater doesn't show up as wet.

He could just be a sweating baby. My son sometimes sweats when he sleeps. How I tell if he is hot or cold is by how his hands/feet feel.  If you think he is sweating try and just put a recieving blanket over him, or use it to swaddle him.(That is if you are swaddling still.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • DS sweats, its damp not wet though. i always swipe all along his butt to double check though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we have the little gauze strip of ointment on his circumcision so it acts as a barrier for his pee.

I really couldn't tell if it's pee or sweat. Mom seems to think it's sweat.  We change him in lightweight clothes and won't swaddle him tonight to see what happens.

His little hands are cool to the touch too

Just wish I knew what it was. 

God Bless our sweet baby James. Our son, born 11/22/09. Unplanned, Emergency C-section image
    "Wearing his BING CROSBY clothes and crooning...buuuh buuh buuuh" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Probably sweat.  This happened to DD when we first brought her home.  We were so concerned about keeping her warm.  We had her in a heavier footy outfit and a blanket on top of her.  She was so sweaty she was screaming her head off.  I would skip the onesie underneath the pj outfit and see if that helps.  At night when we swaddle her, we just put her in a onesie and socks and she stays warm enough.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"