Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

oh joy..colic..(i think)

so for the past week or so, right around 6pm, Olivia goes nuts...cries for no apparent reason, won't eat, won't take her paci..somewhat calms down if we walk around with her (screaming begins again if we sit down..she will tolerate the swing for about a minute, then she starts again,)..then by 8-8:30, she calms down, and falls asleep...

a) is this colic?

b) any words of wisdom on how to calm her down or curb it altogether?

c) does anyone know typically, how long (if it is colic) it lasts (age wise)?

image Jack was born 1/16/08, died 1/25/08 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: oh joy..colic..(i think)

• Options

we've got a similar situation, though ours usually starts closer to 9pm and lasts anywhere from 1-3+ hours.

Have you read "the happiest baby on the block"?  I'm only part way through it, but they recommend trying the 5 S's to trigger the baby's calming reflex.  they are supposed to remind the baby of being in the womb....

1) swaddle 2) side-lying 3) swaying 4) Shhhh'ing 5) Sucking (paci)

The past couple nights we've been doing this and it actually works really well to calm her down.  Otherwise, from what I hear, the only other solution to colic to to wait for them to grow out of it.  supposedly it peaks at 6wks and should only last 3-4 months.

GL!

• Options
    My LO does the same thing in the evening and I asked the pedi, she said if absolutly nothing calms him down then its colic.  He is just fussy at that time, mostly gas, probably when you walk her around it helps relieve it some.  I'm just riding it out and hoping he out grows it soon.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS1 had MILD colic and one thing that worked was putting him in his car seat by the dryer and turning it on.  The noise seemed to calm him down,...it's strange but it worked...lol.  I used this method when nothing else worked.
  • Options

We are going through the same thing, and it's hard. Our pediatrician told us that fussiness/crying kicks up at weeks 4 and 5 and peaks at week 6. According to her, colic like symptoms are normal at this age.

I also recommend reading or watching The Happiest Baby on The Block book or DVD. The 5 S's have helped us---it doesn't help every time, but we have been able to calm down DD using the author's techniques.

Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks for the compliment...to answer your question, Jack died due to a severe heart defect..they tried to fix it surgically, but it didn't work, so we decided to not make him suffer any more, and we let him go.
    image Jack was born 1/16/08, died 1/25/08 Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

a) I think it is more of a "witching hour" then colic. A lot of babies have fussy periods in the evening. If you THINK it's colic then it's probably not. lol If there is colic then you know!

b) Have you tried the 5 Ss? Didn't work for us but a lot of people have success with it.

c) Colic usually peaks around 6 weeks and tends to end around 3 months

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker NATALIE - 9/13/09 HANNAH - 6/8/12
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"