Cincinnati Babies

S/O: SIDS Question

When hearing about SIDS cases, I always wonder what circumstances surrounded the deaths.  I worry all the time about SIDS and try to follow all of the correct "sleeping rules".  I know nothing has be proven and that SIDS is still somwhat of a mysterious phenomenon.  I guess I always wonder about bumpers vs. no bumpers...fans vs. no fans...co-sleeping vs. not cos-sleeping etc.  I could go on and on. It's such a scary thought, I guess I feel even more scared when SIDS cases are reported but none of the circumstances come with the story.  Am I alone in wondering about these things?  (I am not trying to say that these things are the parents fault by any means)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: S/O: SIDS Question

• Here are the circumstances that happened with the 2 babies we lost this year in our family.

The first was asleep in her crib.  I do not know whether there was a fan/no fan or bumper/no bumper involved.

The second one was asleep on her dad's chest.  Dad fell asleep sitting up with baby Kyla on his chest.  When he woke up she was blue and had blood coming out of her nose.  His first reaction was that he had suffocated her. The autopsy ruled it as a classic case of SIDS and said that it's very common in SIDS cases to find the baby with mucous/blood/discharge coming from the nose.   

• Thanks Melissa.  I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I needed you to elaborate, I know this is a sad time for you and your family.  I was mostly talking about all the cases that randomly pop-up in the news.  Ugh, so scary.Sad
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I know exactly what you mean! In no way do you place blame on the parents... but somehow if the baby in question had been sleeping on their belly, or without a fan or something you're not doing... somehow then it doesn't relate to you, you know? What's terrrifying is when those parents have been doing everything recommended and it still happens.

My two friends whom it happened to... One was at the babysitters and died during his nap. The other baby died during a nap in her crib.

I'm not sure of any specifics (bumpers vs no, etc.)

I know that doesn't help. It's so hard trying to make sense of it all.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • The thing to remember about SIDS is that it is any unexplained death of an infant.  There could be any number of babies who die from SIDS in completely different and unrelated circumstances.  What is to scary about it is that there is really very little data on what causes and what can be done to prevent it.  For every baby that dies sleeping on his stomach there could be 50 more who died on their backs....there is really no way to pinpoint what "went wrong."  

It is very common and natural to worry about, but dont let yourself get consumed with fear because that is not healthy for you or the baby. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.Cooley2bee:
    Thanks Melissa.  I hope I didn't come off as sounding like I needed you to elaborate, I know this is a sad time for you and your family.  I was mostly talking about all the cases that randomly pop-up in the news.  Ugh, so scary.Sad

It's ok.  I personally had a lot of questions after our cousin's baby died in August.  Carter was only 3 weeks old so it was really unsettling to Brian and I.  We went out that very day and bought the angelcare monitor.  Still I checked on him non stop.  It's hard to not have answers as to why this could happen.  It's been a difficult year for our family and I hope and pray that we don't have to experience it again.  

• imagepinkylu:

The thing to remember about SIDS is that it is any unexplained death of an infant.  There could be any number of babies who die from SIDS in completely different and unrelated circumstances.  What is to scary about it is that there is really very little data on what causes and what can be done to prevent it.  For every baby that dies sleeping on his stomach there could be 50 more who died on their backs....there is really no way to pinpoint what "went wrong."  

It is very common and natural to worry about, but dont let yourself get consumed with fear because that is not healthy for you or the baby. 

What she said.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• I remember a nurse in the NICU told me that they even have babies that die of SIDS and they have all sorts of monitors on them - they have to have a heart monitor on them while in Good Sam level 3 NICU. 

Unfortunately I think it is something that you just can't prevent sometimes. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"