High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

anyone on bedrest w/o STD?

I am high-risk because I'm carrying twins, and am terrified that I'll end up on bedrest for an extended period of time. We are experiencing some complications already, so it's a real possibility. Of course I will do whatever my doctor says for the health of my babies, BUT I work for a very small company and we have no STD plan. Unfortunately I didn't have the foresight to purchase a private plan, either. I have regular private disability insurance (long-term), not sure if that might kick in at some point? And I have FMLA, but that would ideally be used for my maternity leave.

Anyone else in this boat? I'd love to hear any options in case this situation does arise! TIA!

Re: anyone on bedrest w/o STD?

• Options

They made me use my FMLA first which is leaves my maternity leave unpaid and medical benefits uncovered. They then have me on what is listed as unpaid sick leave where I have to also pay my own benefits. 

It's not a great option but I keep me job! Talk to your company about options maybe you can work something out! The paperwork and hassle of leave time is awful!!!!! GL! 

• Options
    See how long you have to be off to qualify for long-term...maybe you can get on that.  Good Luck!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

You'd use your vacation/sick days up (most likely - depends on the company,) and FMLA would kick in immediately. At the end of your FMLA time, a conversation would have to be had with your HR department about your return-to-work status. After FMLA - unless you have state laws seperate from FMLA - they do not legally have to protect your job.

After FMLA you are also responsible to pay for your health insurance - the whole premium if work contributes some.

In short - talk to your HR department, because it is different state to state.

As for the long term disability - most don't kick in until after 1y of inability to work, or unless you are permanently disabled. You'd have to check the terms.

~*~Meghann~*~ Type 1, insulin dependant diabetic for 11 years using a pump and sensor. wedding countdown Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was on bedrest for 2 months and used my sick leave.  Then I was able to use my FMLA just to keep my benefits which I needed for the post partum check ups.  When my FMLA ran out I took a leave of absence for the remainder of the school year which of course was unpaid. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I do not have STD.  I do not receive any paid maternity leave....so my bedrest may have just started but we started to save as soon as we found out we were pregnant.  GL and keep those babies cooking:)
  • Options
    I believe most LTD plans kick in after 26 weeks, but I'm not sure this would be a qualifying event as it is a temporary situation.  Plus if you are already at 20 weeks you wouldn't get to 26 weeks total anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"