Parenting

I need formula help

My supply has been dwindling over the last few months, which I'm sure is the result of Miles being way too busy and concerned with other things than nursing... anyway, I'm switching to formula.  I've been sort of winging it by nursing and giving bottles.  Last week, Miles started waking in the middle of the night screaming because he was starving.  Obviously, he's not getting enough to eat during the day.  I've tried googling, but I can't find any definitive information about how much formula he should be getting at 8 months.  I nurse(d) him every 3 hours during the day and he gets a stage 2 fruit in the morning and at night he gets oatmeal and a stage 2 veggie.

Please help a formula newbie out.  He has been pretty much taking 6 oz bottles every 3ish hours or so.  Should he be taking 7-8 oz instead? And how far apart should the bottles be?

I also kind of want to nurse him at least once a day.  I'm thinking in the morning is the best option.  If you have any experience doing once-a-day nursing, what did you do?

Also, what formula and bottles do/did you use?  I had been using similac and then switched to target's up&up and he does just fine with it.  What do you guys think about generic formula?  I'm using playtex drop-ins because that's what I've always used for the occaisional bottle with both kids.

If you've read this far, THANKS!   and thanks for any advice you may have.

=)

Re: I need formula help

• My Miles is 7 1/2 months and eats about 6 oz (give or take an ounce either way) every four hours or so.

I'm not sure if that's "typical" though, since he's on the smaller side and has had feeding issues, so it may be more normal for babies that age to be eating 7 oz or more.

We use the Target brand formula, have with both kids and have had no problems. It's so much cheaper too. Used Playtex VentAire bottles with both too. Again, no problems. Good luck! 

Nora Judith 7/2/06 Miles Chauncey 4/20/09 born with Trisomy 21 - Down syndrome
  • It's been a long time since I used formula, but if he'll tolerate the generic, there is no reason not to use it.

Otherwise, I weaned Maile to donated EBM and whole milk at about 11 months when my supply went away. I still nursed her when she wanted it, but she was not interested in an empty boob. She drinks out of the munchkin bottles with the curve nipples from gerber. I had some drop-ins, but she only likes the curved nipples apparently. 

I don't think 6 oz every 3 hours is bad, but I think I've always tended to allow my kids to have more bottles or nurse more often than others. Every 3 hours would only be 4 or 5 bottles a day, right? I think that's just fine. Maile still won't drink 8 oz of milk in one sitting.

Okay, I don't think I was very helpful, but I tried. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagegoodheartedmommy:

It's been a long time since I used formula, but if he'll tolerate the generic, there is no reason not to use it.

Otherwise, I weaned Maile to donated EBM and whole milk at about 11 months when my supply went away. I still nursed her when she wanted it, but she was not interested in an empty boob. She drinks out of the munchkin bottles with the curve nipples from gerber. I had some drop-ins, but she only likes the curved nipples apparently. 

I don't think 6 oz every 3 hours is bad, but I think I've always tended to allow my kids to have more bottles or nurse more often than others. Every 3 hours would only be 4 or 5 bottles a day, right? I think that's just fine. Maile still won't drink 8 oz of milk in one sitting.

Okay, I don't think I was very helpful, but I tried

lol!   no, it was.   Thanks.

I feel like I have no clue what I'm doing!

• imagecooker71:

My Miles is 7 1/2 months and eats about 6 oz (give or take an ounce either way) every four hours or so.

I'm not sure if that's "typical" though, since he's on the smaller side and has had feeding issues, so it may be more normal for babies that age to be eating 7 oz or more.

We use the Target brand formula, have with both kids and have had no problems. It's so much cheaper too. Used Playtex VentAire bottles with both too. Again, no problems. Good luck! 

Yes!  Target formula is cheapie-cheap.  Like half-price cheap.  Good to know that you've used it with both kids.  thanks for the input!

• DD is 5 months.  I just switched from BFing.  Was nursing only in morning.  If that's the feeding you want to fed that's fine.  You're body will adjust.  Generic is fine- used it with my first baby.

Bottles- using playtex ventaire but don't like them.

I'm feeding whenever she'll take it :)

If 7-8 is too much stick with what your baby will eat.  You're doing fine! 

• I'm not sure that any of this will be helpful but I thought I'd share what we're doing with DD. I went back to work FT when she was almost 6 mo. I knew I couldn't continue to BF exclusively because I don't have enough time to devote to the kind of pumping I'd need to do to keep up with her. Anyway  - this is her schedule and it's been mostly the same since September.

BF when she wakes up - around 6:00-6:30am

Bottle of formula - 10:00 (usually drinks 4oz)

Bottle of formula - 1:00 (usually drinks 6oz)

BF when I get her home - around 5:00

Bottle of formula  at bedtime - 6:45ish (always drinks 6oz)

BF at least once during the night

The bedtime bottle was the last one we added. It seemed like I didn't have enough milk to satisfy her after not pumping or nursing all day long.  

When we have tried to give her more in her bottles she hasn't finished it so I don't think she's ready at this point for bigger bottles.

We've just recently gotten really serious about solids so she probably has the better part of a stage one container of fruit or vegetables twice a day.

We give her Good Start Supreme formula. I had heard that it was closest to breast milk so that's what we went with. It's pricey but she's never had any issues. We also use Born Free bottles.

Good luck! The combination of formula and BF is working nicely for us. It certainly can be done!

ETA: When I said Good Start is closest to BM I meant in taste :-)

Molly - DS - 12.16.06 DD - 3.20.09 DD - 3.11.11
  • At 8 months DS was drinking 28-32 oz of formula a day and sleeping 12 through the night.

Sounds like you are doing fine!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"