D.C. Area Babies

should I take her?

I don't know why I'm so conflicted about this. I'm going to a baby shower and DD was invited but the shower hostess' house is not baby-proofed (just checked) and DD is in a really attached-to-mama stage, where I can hardly be out of her sight before she starts yelling "mama" and crying looking for me. And I want to mingle and talk and eat and take pix and enjoy myself.

I know the other guests would love to see her and for some - it'll be the 1st time they meet her. So it'd be nice to "show off" my DD but on the other hand, it'll be nice to have some adult girl time too.

DD is 13.5mo and walking, so she gets into everything. My biggest concern is that she will just be a nightmare to keep up with, I'll have to follow her everywhere to keep her from touching/pulling down stuff. She is not one to sit still

Re: should I take her?

• Personally, I would not take my DD to another baby shower (even if okay'd by the hostess) because I would want the baby-to-be to be the center of attention. Plus, if you are going to have to wrangle her the whole time- it might not be very fun for you. Go by yourself and enjoy the adult conversation :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagevictoria1212:
    Personally, I would not take my DD to another baby shower (even if okay'd by the hostess) because I would want the baby-to-be to be the center of attention. Plus, if you are going to have to wrangle her the whole time- it might not be very fun for you. Go by yourself and enjoy the adult conversation :-)

This

• Loading the player...
  • imagefrogdogny:

imagevictoria1212:
    Personally, I would not take my DD to another baby shower (even if okay'd by the hostess) because I would want the baby-to-be to be the center of attention. Plus, if you are going to have to wrangle her the whole time- it might not be very fun for you. Go by yourself and enjoy the adult conversation :-)

This

ditto

image Uploaded with ImageShack.us Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJitterbug2668:
    imagefrogdogny:

imagevictoria1212:

This

ditto

My thoughts exactly.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The one time I took DS to a baby shower he cried the whole time (which is really unlike him). I felt awful and haven't considered taking him to one since!
  • Just to give the other side, I took DD to a baby shower about a month ago (she was invited) and it was great.  DD loves parties and was excited by all the "stuff" happening around her.  Plus it brought some realism to the party.  DD even played a role in one of the games.  There was a mobile 16 month old there too.  The apt wasn't babyproofed but the toddler was pretty good.  She liked playing with the pots and pans, toting around with her moms purse, and loved helping with the gift paper once items were unwrapped.  I've left DD behind for wedding showers but for baby showers I feel like they are different events.  It's hard though to socialize the same way with DD there.     
  • Can you have your husband take you to the shower with your DD and hang around for 15-20 minutes so people can see her, then he can take her home and come get you later? (or you guys can drive separately?)

I agree with pp, that I'd want it to be focused on the baby that's on the way, but if someone specifically invited your DD, then it might be nice to have her there for a little while.

• imagebh2720:

Can you have your husband take you to the shower with your DD and hang around for 15-20 minutes so people can see her, then he can take her home and come get you later? (or you guys can drive separately?)

I agree with pp, that I'd want it to be focused on the baby that's on the way, but if someone specifically invited your DD, then it might be nice to have her there for a little while.

Good idea. the last baby shower i went to DS was invited, welcomed, etc, but i decided to leave him at home. there were other babies there and everyone was so disappointed i left him at home, they all wanted to meet him or see him again.

• thanks for everyone's input. The only other kids there will be 10 and 5 (the mom-to-be's nieces). I'll probably just leave her at home with DH
  • imagebh2720:

Can you have your husband take you to the shower with your DD and hang around for 15-20 minutes so people can see her, then he can take her home and come get you later? (or you guys can drive separately?)

I like this idea. 

When I used to bring just DD #1 to gatherings by myself (without DH there to help), I'd usually end up sort of bitter than I spent the whole time wrangling her and not enough time socializing.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • If you want to have fun and mingle, don't bring her.  You will just be chasing after her.  I did what pp suggested for some family showers - have DH bring her to pick you up and then people can see her but you are free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"