Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Should we be feeding on a schedule?

We were feeding her every 3 hours, but she seemed hungry, so we started feeding her whenever she seems hungry, which sometimes is 3 hours and sometimes is 1.  She always eats all that we give her, but since we started doing this she has gone from a sleepy newborn to screaming nonstop.  She's too young for traditional colic (she's a preemie so from what my doctor told me, colic would come at about 5 weeks of age if it comes), so why is she screaming constantly?  She now seems hungrier than ever, constantly sucking on her hands and wanting food.  She'll eat round the clock.

Any ideas or advice?  We haven't slept at all (and neither has she) in days.

Re: Should we be feeding on a schedule?

• hmmm... well first I'd say try increasing her intake at each feeding, if you're using formula try bumping up an ounce and see how that does, if you're BF then maybe try supplementing with formula or pumping to give some extra? I'd also recommend doing structured naps for her, swaddled and everything. A lot of their fussiness comes from overstimulation so it's best to give them some structured quiet time and nap time throughout the day. We started this at about 10 days or so and it has helped us a lot. HIH!!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • Always offer more than she eats.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • what is strucured nap time, is that the same time everyday
  • imagevoirin1980:
    what is strucured nap time, is that the same time everyday

We just pick a time of the day that we will go and put him down, in his bed/PNP, and call it his nap time. We were just letting him doze off on the couch or in his swing, or just hang out with us but he was constantly fussing throughout the rest of the day. So once we started swaddling him and putting him to bed, in the dark, just like at nighttime, he's done much better. And we let him sleep as long as he wants to which is usually until his next feeding. We do his "naps" usually right after his feeding/burping, and for us it's usually around noon or 1:00.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Broken boob FFing, babywearing, co-sleeping, PPD warrior,colic survivor, proud WAHM! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Momma Maven In The Making!
  • We follow baby wise and it is a great help to us.  Basically, we fed every 2.5-3 hours, then awake time and then nap time (longer sleep session at night).  We are not strict on the time schedule - we watch the clock AND her cues.  After just a couple of days, we were able to distinguish her "hungry" cues/fussiness from her "trying to fall asleep, please leave me alone" cues/fussiness. 
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I feed on demand and I find that feeding on demand does mean more frequent feedings but a happier baby. If you are breastfeeding then let baby nurse until they just refuse to take the nipple (so if it takes 40 minutes then it takes 40 minutes). If baby is still rooting around and sucking on their hands offer a pacifier! It will not confuse a breastfed baby as it does not offer then any milk. It merely provides them a way to suckle. Before pacifiers were invented women would give their babies sticks of hard sugar to suckle on and their nursing babies did just fine (not advising giving baby sugar sticks but merely showing that women have known babies need to suckle for many, many years!). You could also try letting her suckle on your clean pinky finger if you're adamant about not using pacifiers.

If you're bottle-feeding then offer an ounce more of milk until she seems satiated. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I also breastfeed on demand - which some days / weeks is every hour, sometimes every 3 to 4 hours.  Some dayhs he naps all day, some days he eats all day...... new babies are just growing like crazy, and I think their needs fluctuate very often.  We just try to keep up!  Good luck to you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"