Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

BFing moms

Honestly, how long were your nipples sore?  I am so thankful to be nursing him after letting my supply drop, but I have to curl my toes and tighten my whole body for the first 30 seconds on each breast.

When does it start feeling better?  I can't wait to nurse with little or no pain.  I almost throw up from the pain right now. haha 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: BFing moms

• Options
    It took two months for me!  Medela breastshells were a lifesaver.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    You just started again recently, right? I remember reading about that. I think the soreness for me went away around 2 weeks or so.. now, there's no pain whatsoever. :) As long as he has a good latch, it shouldn't take too much longer. Hang in there!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ugh, I'm with you. I've been breastfeeding him since birth, and I'm STILL sore, so nearly 6 weeks now. However, my issue is still from the latch. No matter what I do, he gets a shallow latch at least half the time. At this point I'm just waiting for his mouth to get bigger Stick out tongue
    "For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageNOVAMommy5:
    You just started again recently, right? I remember reading about that. I think the soreness for me went away around 2 weeks or so.. now, there's no pain whatsoever. :) As long as he has a good latch, it shouldn't take too much longer. Hang in there!

I just started last Wed so it's only been 5 days. 

• Options

imageTarheelsInNJ:
    Ugh, I'm with you. I've been breastfeeding him since birth, and I'm STILL sore, so nearly 6 weeks now. However, my issue is still from the latch. No matter what I do, he gets a shallow latch at least half the time. At this point I'm just waiting for his mouth to get bigger Stick out tongue

Is it extreme pain or just soreness?  My nipples are cracked and bleeding which is why they hurt so bad. 

• Options

I was sore for the fist 5 days. LO gave me scabs and it was unbearable so I started to pump until they healed. so at about 1 week 3 days the scabs healed and I went for it and ever since its been a tad bit tender but barely any pain. My LO is three weeks old, today.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm still sore but DS arches and squirms when he eats which doesn't help

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • Options

I still have some pain but that is usually only if he is eating more than normal.  Like today, he has nursed like every hour or so as opposed to every 2-3 hours (he must be going through a growth spurt or something)

Or I may get some pain if he "bites" down on my nipples.  It took about 2 weeks or so for my nipples to get used to the pain.  It was so bad that I would cry b/c it hurt so bad. 

Keep at it.  It will slowly get better.

• Options
    Ohhh, I feel you with the cracks/bleeding. Do you have some Lansinoh cream? I had to use that religiously after each feeding to get my nipples to heal. :( Hope they feel better soon!
  • Options
    I'm at four weeks and also having intense pain, cracks, bleeding, etc.  Nothing has helped. :(  I go see the lactation consultant again this week.  You're not alone! 
  • Options
    imageAMYfromKY:

imageTarheelsInNJ:

Is it extreme pain or just soreness?  My nipples are cracked and bleeding which is why they hurt so bad. 

Lansinoh is going to be your best friend! Use it liberally. It's great because you can leave it on with no problems for bfing. Sometimes I put it on right before feeding. I worry because you mentioned cracked and bleeding nipples. You can get thrush very easily from cracked nipples. So be careful. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    the first 4 days were brutal,  but then it got better.  every now and then his latching on = death, but mostly it is not so bad at all... even pleasant.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Mine is much better already, but if she doesn't latch on right, they get sore again rather quickly.  If he is only getting on the nipple, it will really really hurt!
  • Options

imageNOVAMommy5:

ditto for me

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    5 weeks for me, and it still hurts if he has a bad latch (he does this after eating when he wants to keep sucking but not get more milk).
  • Options
    imageAMYfromKY:

imageTarheelsInNJ:

For the most part, it's just soreness (i.e. sensitive to the touch after a feeding). However, the initial latch often hurts like a b*tch. Toe curling, grit my teeth pain! But like you, it goes away in about 30 seconds, so I can deal.

When I first started BFing right after birth, the pain was excruciating, and I would cry through feedings. That led me to giving him formula for a weekend while I waited for an LC's help. Now it's not perfect, but I've gotten to the point where I can do it and it's tolerable. Not comfortable or enjoyable yet, but I'm confident we'll get there with time!

"For a long time there were only your footprints & laughter in our dreams & even from such small things, we knew we could not wait to love you forever." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

4 weeks for the right side, 6 for the left. the left nipple was cracked in half and looked like someone had taken a razor blade to it. i had to curl my toes too and i was in tears too. have you tried soothies gel pads? they really helped a lot! that and expressing milk onto my nipples after each feeding. good luck! you've done such a great thing by resuming BFing - it's awesome!

• Options
    I had the toe curling reaction as well for at least the first month. Ditto to all the others who mentioned lansinoh cream - I kept a tube everywhere I nursed! It will get better and I still think it's awesome that your returned to BF and have made this much effort. Hopefully it will be less sensitive for you soon!

• Options
    I rarely post, but I had to respond.  This was so me the first couple of weeks.  Plus three bouts of mastitis.  It was hell.  The one thing that really helped heal them was block feeding.  I nursed one side only for about a three or four hour stretch, then switched to the other side.  That gave each nipple a few hours to heal before it was mauled again.  And ditto the lansinoh and breastmilk on the nipples.  Also, my midwife recommended sunshine and fresh air which I feel helped too.  Good luck and hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"