Preemies
Options

How big was your NICU?

Just curious!

Ours has spaces for about 150 babies (right now they are at 116- yikes!!)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How big was your NICU?

• Options
    Wow - ours only had spaces for about 30 babies but the most in there during our stay was 24 and it was PACKED.  Which is strange too seeing as how it is "the" NICU for our area including at least two other states.
  • Options
    Ours is a small level 3. 15 beds, they have 6 babies counting mine now.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ours had 48 beds.  i don't think that included the private rooms for multiples.
  • Options
    I think it was about 80. And it was full a few times, it definitely could get crowded. Now the step down unit has all private rooms, so that's fantastic. The level III & IV is still pretty cramped, though. A friend of mine just delivered a baby there (full term but with esophageal atresia) and she was pretty crowded in there back in the level IV area.
  • Options
    Ours had space for about 50 beds in level 3, level 2 was bigger.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options
    Ours was a level 3 with 22 rooms.  Everyone has a private room except for 3 that were adjoined with another room with large sliding glass doors for multiples.  Those rooms could be individual though.  All rooms also have 2 monitor screens, etc. in each room so that if they needed, each room could have 2 babies instead of being private.
  • Options
    80 something!
  • Options
    Our Level III had room for maybe 35-40 beds if you count the isolation rooms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    wow. those are some big units.  ours was a max capacity of about 14!  this was the suburban hospital closer to my house that I delivered at.  when I was in Boston the first half of my bed rest the NICU was still probably only 50 or so tops.  it's a major hospital too.
    imageimage

• Options
    I think 20 was the max at our NICU.  It was a level III facility I think.  I think babies only ended up in private rooms if they needed to be in isolation for some reason.  Otherwise, the spaces were just separated by curtains. 
  • Options
    Level III had 25 beds, transitional had 5 beds, and Level II had 15 beds.
    Mom to Harmon 1/17/08 and twins Rachel & Callum 8/28/09 Photobucket 29o0v13.jpg
  • Options
    Ours was 64 beds and was separated into pods A-G depending on how critical the baby was.  A-pod was never opened while we were there, but I heard it does fill up occasionally.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Ours had about 60 beds in level III and IV. The transitional care nursery had about 9 beds, and there was also a special care nursery (mostly full-term or near full-term with feeding issues) with 9 beds, I think. 

All the nurseries was frequently full - that's how DS got moved to the transitional care nursery (step-down nursery).  He was the healthiest of the really sick.  And then once we were in transitional care (for 7 weeks!) DS got sent home a day early because they needed bedspace (we were very ready too!! :)).

• Options
    75 I believe and about 10 of those were transitional
  • Options

NICU level 3 45 beds

Step Down (SCN) level 2 14 beds

Always at capacity the whole time we were there...so sad

• Options
    70 beds total for level 3 and level 2.  There were 4 nurseries A-D each with 2 sides.  B and C were the nurseries with the most critical babies A and D were the intermediate nurseries.  They were at capacity or close to capacity the whole time we were there.  The week after we left they had to send all babies born over to Children's (which is attatched to the hospital I delivered at) since there was no room at our hopital.
  • Options
    I think they had 40 isolettes on the main floor and then a 6 bed step down unit..
  • Options
    Not sure exactly, but we were at one of the top 10 in the nation in NICU care, so it was very big, 3 wings of maybe 50 or so spaces per wing?
  • Options
    Wow ours felt big when we were there, but I was just reading on their website and it's only 43 beds total.  It's a level 3 NICU with 27 of them in 3 different Intensive Care Pods and 16 beds in the Continuing Care Nursery which is like a step down.

• Options
    I'm not sure how many babies it held, but it was a level 3 NICU. When we were there, they had 9 babies in the beginning and I think they day we left there was 6 babies.

• Options
    I delivered at a small hospital, but they still had a level lll nicu.  They had 12 beds, plus a room for one set of multiples.  Reese was the only baby there for the first 5 days she was in the nicu. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"