Austin Babies

Moms with older toddlers/kiddos

When did your LO drop their nap altogether?  I think DD is starting to.  I don't think she's really ready to completely but we're in the weird transition phase.  When they did drop their nap, did they sleep longer at night?  Do you still do a quiet time for them each day - even if they aren't napping anymore?

Re: Moms with older toddlers/kiddos

• Elena lasted 'til 3.5 yrs luckily.  And a big fat 'no' on the sleeping longer at night question. 

She does pretty well without the nap now, although I think she could still use it most days.  She can become such a huge grump in the evenings, and will fall asleep instantly if we drive to dinner.

I try to have a quiet time for her -- or at least a 'not bugging Mommy' time.  That's whats going on right now while I'm here!

imageimage
    6-yr-old Elena and 4-yr-old Julia.
    My Blog! All about my girls and quilting
  • Abby still takes nap although not everyday.  She still has quiet time for atleast an hour in her room everyday!  I am not giving that up until I have to.  She did go through about a 6 month period sometime between 3-3.5 when she pretty much NEVER took a nap but still needed them.  She would be extra grumpy and clumsy (always a sign she is tired)  late in the evening.  Not sure why she went back to taking them but now she takes them most days and does not take them once or twice a week. Also like nanann no it did not mean longer sleep at night.
  • Loading the player...
  • Two, but he's never been a napper. I still make him have "quiet time", which most days involves him destroying his room. He's always been a good sleeper at night but he doesn't sleep any longer at night because of his self-imposed no nap policy.
  • Ditto what Taffy said (except that he has always been a napper!) and Colton pretty much just recently dropped his regular naps, so probably around 34 months.  Now that he doesn't nap, I sometimes don't do quiet time because it doesn't fit into our schedule for the day, but most days I still like to try and do it and sometimes he will still take a nap.  I put him down for bed a lot earlier if he doesn't nap, so it all kind of evens out.
  • I am surprised to hear so many say their kids dropped naps so early.  My mom has taught K for 35 years and LOTS of those kids still nap. 
    I will definitely have DD lay down for quiet time.  You can really tell the kids who aren't used to rest time in K.  They get in trouble for being squirmy.
  • imagenaclh2otaffy:
    Two, but he's never been a napper. I still make him have "quiet time", which most days involves him destroying his room. He's always been a good sleeper at night but he doesn't sleep any longer at night because of his self-imposed no nap policy.

I love that my kid loves to prove me wrong.  He took a two hour nap today.  :P

My MIL says my DH never napped as a child, so I wonder if it's hereditary?

• my oldest started to flirt w/no napping just after 2.5. he was going to preschool til 12p and then i would try to get him to nap at home, which worked about 50% of the time. at 3y he started staying at school longer and would nap there. this lasted until this fall, he finally stopped napping at school over a month ago, so just over 3.5. he apparently just chills quietly in the nap room at school, so hence a quiet time. (he cannot seem to do quiet time at home, i often turn on the TV then so he doesn't wake little bro, that seems to be our best version of quiet time at home).

i still think he needs a nap, but he's slowly getting better at dealing w/the late afternoon/evening hrs, but it's taken awhile. the flipside for us is he does go to bed earlier! when he was napping this fall, his bedtime was creeping later and later, past 9p. now he is down for the count by 7:30...silver lining! But, it seemed like he flip-flopped forever b/t napping and not napping, like for a whole year! sorry for the long winded response!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"